Apple's Mac event invite has a 'warp speed' AR easter egg

Posted:
in macOS edited March 2022
Keeping with Apple's recent tradition, the company's upcoming Mac and AirPods event invite has a hidden augmented reality easter egg.

Credit: AppleInsider
Credit: AppleInsider

Users can find the AR Easter egg on the webpage for Apple events by clicking on the invite's Apple logo on an iPhone or iPad. The site will then open the AR file, allowing users to place and view the AR object around their environment.

The AR easter egg features star-like objects whipping by, giving off the illusion of traveling through space at "warp speed." Apple's actual invite features a similarly stylized Apple logo. Interestingly, the AR experience only periodically shows an Apple logo or the event date.

As with the previous "California Streamin'" AR experience, Apple has used a .reality file for the invite. Previously, the company used USDZ files for AR Easter eggs.

Apple is largely expected to debut new Macs and AirPods models at the "Unleashed" event, slated for Monday, Oct. 18. Some rumored announcements include a 16-inch MacBook Pro and a 14-inch MacBook Pro with an updated "M1X" chipset.

The event kicks off at 10 a.m. Pacific (1 p.m. Eastern). AppleInsider will be covering the event live, so check back here for the latest announcements and product unveilings.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    What invite? Did anyone get one via email? Speaking of regular customers not members of the press.
    Apple has a mailing list. Mine has the Announcements section checked. It is described as follows "Get announcements, recommendations, and updates about Apple products, services, and software."
    Nope.
    mobird
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    What invite? Did anyone get one via email? Speaking of regular customers not members of the press.
    Apple has a mailing list. Mine has the Announcements section checked. It is described as follows "Get announcements, recommendations, and updates about Apple products, services, and software."
    Nope.
    They typically send out the detailed product announcement emails after the event, but not the event announcements before the event.

Here's a picture of the baby, you didn't get an invite to the shower!
    applguy
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mknelson said:
    Nope.
    They typically send out the detailed product announcement emails after the event, but not the event announcements before the event.

Is it a secret? You would think that Apple would tell customers who opted in for announcement e-mails about their new product announcement, right?
    Hey Apple: Product marketing opportunity: Tell customers about your product announcements before they happen, hmm kay?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Finally! Come to papa 16" MBP ... come to papa..
    montrosemacswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Blue shifted.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    mknelson said:
    Nope.

Not true. I’ve received email announcements before events many times in the past. I’m still waiting for this one, though they usually arrive later that evening or the very next day. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Nope.
    I got one this afternoon. I bet you did too. They send them to the press first, then customers.

Yet, somehow, you (and I) found out about it this morning. Could it be because literally every tech news outlet/pundit that covers Apple is letting you know? It's impossible not to find out about an Apple Event.
    edited October 2021 watto_cobra