Storage issue confused

Posted:
in Genius Bar
I placed this in the hardware forum but maybe it belongs here:

I have a brand new iMac 27" running Big Sur 11.6.1 The drive is a 250 SSD. When I checked the available storage it said I had 22GB available. So, I deleted a few applications, some photos (then deleted them from the recently deleted folder), some music, some apps then I cleaned out trash and rebooted. I thought I would have regained about 6 GB of storage, but in fact my available storage dropped from 22gb to 17gb. How can this be?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    agincourt said:
    I placed this in the hardware forum but maybe it belongs here:

I have a brand new iMac 27" running Big Sur 11.6.1 The drive is a 250 SSD. When I checked the available storage it said I had 22GB available. So, I deleted a few applications, some photos (then deleted them from the recently deleted folder), some music, some apps then I cleaned out trash and rebooted. I thought I would have regained about 6 GB of storage, but in fact my available storage dropped from 22gb to 17gb. How can this be?
    Spotlight indexing uses up space and doesn't always update the available space on a drive immediately.

Only having < 20GB free on a brand new Mac isn't a good setup. It's only $200 more to get the 512GB model. If the iMac was bought from Apple, I'd recommend returning it and getting the larger storage. Either that or use an external SSD:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0874XN4D8/ref=twister_B0843GRN6D
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Thanks!

So, 18 hours later I just checked my available storage and it says I have 51gb of available storage so it did take awhile for it to register