ABS as a Wireless Bridge

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The ABS (Graphite) has an option under netwok called "Enable Wireless to Ethernet Bridging", but it can only be turned on if "Distribuet IP addersses is checked as well.

So assuming that you have two ABS, one (call it ABSa) is set up as a router and the other (call it ABSb) set up as a wireless->ethernet bridge, does the device connected to ABSb get it's IP address from ABSa or ABSb?

Thanks in Advance,

--PB

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    what version airport are you running? 3.0? Is this a new feature? I have never heard of this... I thought it was only a new feature of AE
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by PosterBoy

The ABS (Graphite) has an option under netwok called "Enable Wireless to Ethernet Bridging", but it can only be turned on if "Distribuet IP addersses is checked as well.

--PB

I've been using this feature since I had my ABS (Graphite). It's hooked up to my router, which handles my IP distribution.

Click the "Distribute IP" address, click the "Enable Bridging", and then click the "Distribute IP" OFF again. It leaves the Ethernet bridging on.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    posterboyposterboy Posts: 147member
    For clarification,

I want to know if the Graphite ABS can pick up a wireless network bridge it to an ethernet device (a la this: http://www.dlink.com/products/wireless/dwl810+/ )

I know that the AEBS can do this, but can the ABS?

--PB
  • Reply 4 of 4
    rambo47rambo47 Posts: 91member
    Using a second base station as a repeater to carry your wireless network signal farther is only possible on the new AirPort Extreme.