Notability backs down on subscriptions for existing users

Posted:
in iOS
Following complaints, the developer of Notability has said users who bought before the new move to subscription, can retain their premium features.

Notability on iPad
Notability on iPad

The popular Notability note-taking app for iPad, iPhone, and Mac, has moved to a freemium version, with its key features now available only on subscription. However, when originally making the announcement, the company said that existing, paid users would have one year free before having to subscribe.

"Yesterday, we made a big announcement regarding our transition to a free app with an optional subscription," said the company in a new blog post. "We heard the disappointment from our existing customers, and we want to correct our course."

"Everyone who purchased Notability prior to our switch to subscription on November 1st, 2021 will have lifetime access to all existing features and any content previously purchased in the app," continued the company.

"We are a small company," it explained, "so we designed the original one-year access plan as a precautionary measure since we were not certain if we could support lifetime access. We sincerely apologize for putting our current users in this position."

The existing and previously paid-for features include iCloud syncing, and unlimited editing. The company now says that there may still be more to come for paid users as well as subscribers.

"Future features we develop may also be included, depending on their complexity and cost to maintain," it says.

Notability is now free in the App Store, and offers an in-app subscription of $11.99 per year.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    stukestuke Posts: 122member
    Now THAT is a great developer, recognizing two types of customers…those who enjoy buying something once and using it at will, and those that lease their software okay with the knowledge of shut-off/out when payment stops. Great way to satisfy the broadest possible market!
    edited November 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    I am really tired of the endless shakedown of subscription software. 

I prefer to buy it for a fair price and get a reasonable life of use from it with paid upgrades when major changes are made to the SW.
    rcfatokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Notibility has gone to a cripple ware unless you subscribe model. 
    Apple Notes has everything I need, from cloud storage, to accessibility across all of my devices and systems, to tables, to hand drawing and annotation.

Bite me Notibility.

rcfatokyojimudewmep-dogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 4
    stuke said:
    Now THAT is a great developer, recognizing two types of customers…those who enjoy buying something once and using it at will, and those that lease their software okay with the knowledge of shut-off/out when payment stops. Great way to satisfy the broadest possible market!

Uh, no. Notability is not available anymore as a one-time purchase. All new users are limited to the subscription model.
    watto_cobra