How much PowerBook can I get for my iBook?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just out of idle curiosity today, and because I was using my dad's 550 MHz TiBook, I was thinking about how much PowerBook G4 I could get if I traded my 800 MHz iBook for it. Through some XBench tests, the TiBook would be slower, but not for AltiVec of course, and I really love that big screen (even if it's only wider and no taller than the iBook's screen, pixel-wise). It seems so luxurious and wonderful compared to my iBook which is somewhat cramped by the 12" screen. DVDs are awesome. So, I was considering trading my iBook for a used PowerBook. Basically, the lowest I really want to go is a 550 MHz Combo version, because earlier ones couldn't burn CDs and they had non-QE graphics cards. Anyway, I'm not especially concerned with speed as long as it's usably fast in OS X (which my dad's TiBook certainly is), has enough hard drive space (my iBook has 30 GB, the 550 MHz TiBook has only 20 GB but it's easy to replace the HD in a TiBook), and can do the things I need to do. All I really need to do is run basic programs like iChat, Mail, Safari, Office, and a few non-demanding games. And also it would have to be fast at video playback... I always find it frustrating when full-screen videos break up. But I don't think that would be a problem.

So, ya think I could get a TiBook 550 for my iBook? Or should I just pass it up? I mean, I might be able to go as low as a 400 or 500 MHz version if that's how low I'd have to go to get a trade, but I don't think that would be very good because those have crappy graphics cards.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I just traded my 600Mhz iBook for the 400Mhz TiBook

I don't use laptop to work but since I just started my own business I need a big screen to do demo to clients.

iBook, IMO, gives people an impression that I am just joking.....on the other hand, the Ti will give people a feel of seriousness.

Fortunately that Ti I have has AppleCare til Oct 2004