From rotten Apples to expensive lemons

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
While doing a little bit of research this morning new vehicles, I was surprised at the amount of negative customer comments on them. We're looking at a 2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE, and were really impressed after a test drive, but I then started seeing dozens upon dozens of negative customer reviews. Rattling at 40 mph, cars rolling while in Park, cars shutting off while cruising at a steady slower speed, etc, etc. I'm starting to think "oh shit".

Then I started to check the competition. Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, VW Passat, etc... all the same. I read reports of Passats almost killing people due to the gas pedal sticking down on the highway, Altimas that rolled off driveways while in Park, Accords with 40K miles needing new transmissions, and on, and on, and on.

There are sites like MyVWLemon.com (with the tag line "Suckers Wanted!".

Another funny thing I'm noticing is the number of anti or pro <insert auto maker> sites. You've got The Anti-Honda and Anti-Acura Web Site, the the ultimate commuting machine site, about a guy's love of his friggin' Camry... it's unending. Why would someone obsess so much over a certain brand of product? Man, websites, message boards, slamming competitors, these guys need to get a life. (oh yeah, where am I posting this? never mind) heh heh

I just think it's funny how much conflicting info is out there. Take our Sienna for example. The only problem we've encountered in our 4 years and 89,000 km is a rattling in the driver's side sliding door, which was fixed under warranty. Had a bit of a clunking problem in the rear end, fixed as well, and the OEM tires wore quickly. Then I see a review by a customer of the exact model, with these problems:

Inner tie rods replaced.

Rear brake drums replaced.

Pulling to the left.

Replaced tires at 17,500 miles.

Battery corrosion.

Stalling out twice.

Gasoline odor from the front of the van.

Failed speedometer.

Sticking door latches.

Leaking rear washer valve.

Vibrations above 50 MPH.

White smoke from exhaust on start up.

Excess heat in left front wheel well.

Increased idle speed intermittently.

Transmission shift hesitation.

Thumping sound when braking in reverse.

They also say: "The Sienna was *supposed* to be our 10+ year vehicle as two others have been. We are extremely disappointed with the reliability and quality of this van to date. Based on owner stories on the Complaint Station, Cartrackers Forums, and Edmund's Town Hall, we don't feel we have seen all the problems yet."

Now if I was looking for a used minivan, this review would probably make most people steer clear of it. Funny, since I would sell this van to any friend or family member with a clear conscience quite easily. Reminds me of the forums at Apple's site, and the people who say "look at ALL the problems people are having!!" Happy users just aren't posting their experiences, that's all. I don't think many people are going to start a website about their new car, but they'll probably go and voice their displeasure if the thing is a lemon.

It's tough to figure out what car to buy here, since I can't find one without pages of HATE propaganda.

Oh, and this is a funny little read about the terrorist angle on SUVs. (hey, it needs something terrorist or war-like in it for it to fit with the forum these days )

_ ___

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Grrr... can't edit title.... grrr...

• Reply 2 of 17
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Grrr... can't edit title.... grrr...

I can edit for you if you want.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i've also been doing tons of research about new cars. user-type reviews are good, but sometimes need to be taken with a grain of salt unless there is an obvious theme. honestly, you're a lot more likely to get online and bitch about your car when something goes wrong then you are to get online and praise your car when it works. take my '93 lumina with 135,000 miles. it has had no real problems and i haven't said a peep about it online. (until now)

anyhow, i find the most valuable resource to be ConsumerReports. All their content is accessible at their website ( http://www.consumerreports.org ) . You have to buy a subscription @ $24 / year, but it is a hell of a value if you ask me (no one has) CR is totally non-profit and doesn't accept any advertisers nor do they allow companies to say things like "Consumer Reports gave us an awesome rating, we rock!" Furthermore, I believe CR has the largest private test-track of anyone that they use for all their vehicles. Anyhow, CR is a much better resource than some site with a bunch of user reviews.

Oh, I'd recommend a Camry I dig the new body style. Also check out the Mazda6, i think you get a helluva lot for the money with that car.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    First, check CR. Follow it like Mormons with the Book of Mormon. They are good. They are wise. They are unbiased like was previously mentioned.

Also, take a look at http://www.edmunds.com , they usually have very good information about vehicles, and have very reasonable professional reviews.

If you find that a vehicle is recommended by both CR and Edmunds, it's probably a really good bet.

And yes, take consumer reviews with a grain of salt the size of Rhode Island.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    murbot owns a minivan?

i now feel better about mine, somehow....

thanks...sniff...sniff
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Yes, but I only drive it when I'm pissed. In my mind, I'm driving a sportscar.

• Reply 7 of 17
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Get a Mini Cooper!!!!
  • Reply 8 of 17
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Trust your mechanic to mend your car

Bring it in to his garage

He tightens and loosens a few spare parts

One thing's fixed, another falls apart

And the rich eat you

• Reply 9 of 17
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Nissan, Toyota and Honda all have superb reliability records. You'll find isolated problems as wih any car make. As a previous Altima owner, and a current Maxima owner, I can attest to Nissan's quality.

If your in the market for a sedan as it sounds like you are, I think the Nissan is the clear winner. The new 2004 Maxima looks like an ass kicker as well!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xionja

Get a Mini Cooper!!!!

mini is a very cool, practical car. unfortunately all the mini hu-bub in the US has caused dealers to sell them often for over MSRP. i'd say, buy a mini in a year.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I know this is a little off-topic. But I am thinking of buying a Nissan Sunny.

Any comments? Anyone know when Nissan will roll out a new sunny model? I dun wanna buy one when a new model come out in 2 months.

Any help is appreciated.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xionja

Get a Mini Cooper!!!!

Amen to that! If only my 535 wouldn't get jealous!
  • Reply 13 of 17
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Quote:

If your in the market for a sedan as it sounds like you are, I think the Nissan is the clear winner. The new 2004 Maxima looks like an ass kicker as well!

NO! NO! NO!

DATSUN = EVIL!

There is a reason that they changed their name you know. Mainly the fact that their cars were lemons and they desperately needed some good PR and a new marketing angle.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

mini is a very cool, practical car. unfortunately all the mini hu-bub in the US has caused dealers to sell them often for over MSRP. i'd say, buy a mini in a year.

hey progmac . . . I have a video screening in the Athens Film and Video fest this year . . . PM me if you might go and I'll tell you the title
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

NO! NO! NO!

DATSUN = EVIL!

There is a reason that they changed their name you know. Mainly the fact that their cars were lemons and they desperately needed some good PR and a new marketing angle.

Yeah, they suck man. I'm sure this is just a cover up.

• Reply 16 of 17
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I finally find a thread in AppleOutsider that's not about war, and it's about cars...
  • Reply 17 of 17
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    So they won Canadian Car of the year? Do they have good snow tires or something?