Terminal Question - Very Weird

Posted:
in Genius Bar
Hi, y'all. So, I went into the Terminal, something I never really do because I do not know UNIX but I just wanted to show it off to a friend. Anyway, it shows my first name/last name and then "@MegansApleWatch" now I do not know anyone named Megan, and I bought this computer brand new. Does anyone know what this means? Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    JinTech said:
    Hi, y'all. So, I went into the Terminal, something I never really do because I do not know UNIX but I just wanted to show it off to a friend. Anyway, it shows my first name/last name and then "@MegansApleWatch" now I do not know anyone named Megan, and I bought this computer brand new. Does anyone know what this means? Thanks in advance for your help!
    Check in system preferences > sharing and see what the computer name is. Hit return after changing it and open a new terminal.

Usually the default is the computer model.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    Marvin said:
    JinTech said:
    Check in system preferences > sharing and see what the computer name is. Hit return after changing it and open a new terminal.

Thanks for the quick response. I actually did that out of curiosity and it was my default setting, not @MegansApleWatch. Also no sharing was enabled except AirDrop and that was restricted Administrators (I think was the text, don’t have my laptop open currently.)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    JinTech said:
    Marvin said:
    JinTech said:

Thanks for the quick response. I actually did that out of curiosity and it was my default setting, not @MegansApleWatch. Also no sharing was enabled except AirDrop and that was restricted Administrators (I think was the text, don’t have my laptop open currently.)
    Do you or someone else who uses the Mac unlock the Mac with an Apple Watch? If you do and it's a used watch, maybe the watch has that id:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208978

Check if the computer name is correct in the terminal with these commands too:

scutil --get ComputerName
    uname -n

Also check the hosts file to see what's in there:

nano /etc/hosts

Someone here said it can get that host name from a reverse network lookup from the DNS server. That would be unusual unless maybe it's a cellular network or something:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6375129

edited December 2021