old comp, new life?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
last friday a blue and white g3 appeared in the hallway outside of my lab. presumably deposited because it was nonfunctional or out of date. my home computer is a beige g3 so i figured that a second slightly younger comp might be appreciated...

the computer was stripped -- no harddrive, no ram...

initial tests made me realize that the processor was a bit loose -- ie after purchasing cheap ram and a small harddrive, the comp only started up to a blinking ? after reinserting the processor. fine.

however, i cant get the computer to repeat any particular start up scheme twice. at several points, with my os x cd i was able to get to the white screen grey apple bit of the installer but after a while the cd would stop spinning and the graphic no sign would appear. trying os 9.2.1, 9.1 and an old 8.1 cd produced pauses in the startup but ulitmately the blinking question mark or a frozen white screen would ensue. at some point i was able to get to a 'mac-boot' screen with a carrot for commands but, typing mac-boot didnt work nor was i able to figure out exactly what i was seeing.

i thought that it was the cd rom, but trying a new cd-rw i just bought and the old one from my beige comp didnt work either.

zapping the pram didnt work. i tried to install os 9.2 on the new harddrive with my old computer and redeposit that hd into the blue and white but that didnt work. i tried to install the scsi drive i have in my old machine with pci board but again didnt work.

two questions:

1) Suggestions?

2) is it possible that the blue's processor could be swapped into my old computer? its supposedly 350 mhz my old one is 266 then again the bus speeds are different on the two machines...

thanks for any help.

billybob

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    anyone?

i read the service manual of the blue and white g3 and it implies that a simple switch out of the processor wouldnt work...

i am going to try the manual reset of the logic board...

billybob
  • Reply 2 of 5
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Quote:

initial tests made me realize that the processor was a bit loose -- ie after purchasing cheap ram and a small harddrive, the comp only started up to a blinking ? after reinserting the processor. fine

Eeek, cheap ram is the spawn of satain!

Also, if the cpu was loose and the the ram has gone, the peson that performed these actions could have damaged the mobo/chip via static discharge.

GL
  • Reply 3 of 5
    OT: How often does static discarge happen? I have worked on the insides of my computers for 8 years now with no protection against static.. Nothing has happened yet... Is this just good luck?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    the rams not the prob... talked to the person who put the comp in the hall... he thinks the mobo has gone... i am going to try to reset it completely -- ie remove battery wait ten minutes etc...

will seen then...

on static... touching the outside grounded part of the case discharges static generally so unless your hands exist in a bubble i dont think its generally a problem...

humidity etc play roles in it though...

bbs
  • Reply 5 of 5
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Any time you walk around you build up static: I've personally got up to 1500 Volts-worth before (the crack as I earthed was pretty impressive...).

Components are a good deal less sensitive than they once were, but the one time you do have a problem is going to be with some hard-to-find $1500 circuit board.

Static protection is definitely a "best practice".