Apple's 2022 iPhone 14 Pro predicted to have hole-punch display

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2022
A new report claims that Apple will be replacing the iPhone notch with a hole-punch design in 2022, but solely for the Pro models.

The move to a hole-punch display instead of the current notch has previously been predicted by Ming-Chi Kuo. More recently, claimed renders of the 2022 "iPhone 14" range leaked just ahead of the iPhone 13 launch.

Now according to The Elec, unspecified sources say that the 2022 equivalents of the iPhone 13 Pro, and iPhone 13 Pro Max, will gain the hole-punch design. And the next equivalent of the iPhone 13 in the range will retain the current notch.

The Elec also repeats previous claims that there will be a larger-display yet non-Pro iPhone. The publication says that this, too, will utilize the current notch design.

At present, the notch contains both the iPhone's selfie camera and its Face ID system. Separately, Ming-Chi Kuo has predicted that Apple will be able to place the Face ID system underneath the display in 2023's iPhone range.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    This year, at least one cell phone maker managed cover up the hole punch with visible pixels. It would be great if Apple lead the market on display technology rather than following it by two or three years.
    elijahglkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 25
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    This year, at least one cell phone maker managed cover up the hole punch with visible pixels. It would be great if Apple lead the market on display technology rather than following it by two or three years.
    I imagine they are only using a single camera and a fingerprint reader rather than FaceID. FaceID is better than TouchID imo, apart from when it's not due to masks. TouchID makes a lot of sense right now, and in years gone by Apple's nimbleness would have allowed them to "skate to where the puck is going" and they would have added it in the upcoming model. Unfortunately under Cook, Apple's dexterity has melted away to leave a more traditional sluggish behemoth.

We're two years into the pandemic and Apple's not caught up to the many Android manufacturers who have an under-screen fingerprint reader. Apple even has a finished in-power-button reader, why isn't that on the iPhone 13? Come on Apple.
    edited December 2021 patchythepiratemacplusplus
  • Reply 3 of 25
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Guess my iPhone XS Max will last until 2023 then.

I’m not replacing it until it either dies or they kill off the notch completely and have it all under the display.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Apple follows NO ONE dude. They do whatever the fu** they want and always in the face of nay-sayers who think their choices will fail. 
    williamlondonpatchythepiratelkrupp
  • Reply 5 of 25
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    The notch has become really nice. I can see them shrinking it or slimming it down first.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    saarek said:

I’m not replacing it until it either dies or they kill off the notch completely and have it all under the display.
    Is that really so important for your decision to upgrade?

To me, the camera, battery life and better hardware in combination with new/better uses (software).
    I am not controlled or obstructed by a tiny notch. What is your daily use of your phone that makes this important to you?
  • Reply 7 of 25
    The reviews on that phone all agree that the images captured from the "camera under pixel"  are compromised. Apple hasn't traditionally brought gimmicky, flawed or otherwise compromised technology to market just for the sake of being first.
    williamlondonlkruppuraharabeowulfschmidtcypresstree
  • Reply 8 of 25
    What does a hole-punch display look like? And who would use it? No one uses paper binders anymore.

Did you mean a punch-hole display?
    edited December 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 25
    The reviews on that phone all agree that the images captured from the "camera under pixel"  are compromised. Apple hasn't traditionally brought gimmicky, flawed or otherwise compromised technology to market just for the sake of being first.
    Do they?  According to this article there's 6 Android phones that have it, and the compromise is pretty minimal, certainly less intrusive on the display than the notch.

Also it's only the front camera so no one's that worried about picture quality. Back camera would be different. The pictures of and from the Oppo are especially good.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    elijahg said:
    Do they?  According to this article there's 6 Android phones that have it, and the compromise is pretty minimal, certainly less intrusive on the display than the notch.

Also it's only the front camera so no one's that worried about picture quality. Back camera would be different. The pictures of and from the Oppo are especially good.
    I don't think the quality of selfies from those under display cameras are even barely adequate. ZTE Axon 30 5G review: Camera (gsmarena.com)
    commentzilla
  • Reply 11 of 25
    elijahg said:

I don't think the quality of selfies from those under display cameras are even barely adequate. ZTE Axon 30 5G review: Camera (gsmarena.com)
    It's not great, but it's not awful either. Though as I said, Oppo seems to have done a pretty good job, and the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 isn't bad either. Both better than the ZTE, and approaching the quality of the cameras in the iMacs and Macbooks. Plus Apple is a $2tn company, ZTE is a $21bn company. So surely if ZTE can get something usable, Apple who spends nearly the entire market cap of ZTE on R&D per year should be able do it better. 
  • Reply 12 of 25
    saarek said:

To me, the camera, battery life and better hardware in combination with new/better uses (software).
    I am not controlled or obstructed by a tiny notch. What is your daily use of your phone that makes this important to you?
    At the end of the day the notch, or any intrusion really, is a compromise in the design.

It’s a trade off I accepted with the XS Max, but I assumed it would have gone by now. Apple doesn’t seem in a rush to spend the money on removing it through, so poor assumption on my part.
    elijahg
  • Reply 13 of 25
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    saarek said:

It’s odd that someone would ignore all the additional features and performance, as well as the fact that they get a lot more display from the forehead and chin going away, but instead focus on a small area of the extra display not going all the way across the top.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    saarek said:
    saarek said:

At the end of the day the notch, or any intrusion really, is a compromise in the design.

It’s a trade off I accepted with the XS Max, but I assumed it would have gone by now. Apple doesn’t seem in a rush to spend the money on removing it through, so poor assumption on my part.
    All product design is compromise.
    unbeliever2
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Xed said:
    saarek said:

It’s odd that someone would ignore all the additional features and performance, as well as the fact that they get a lot more display from the forehead and chin going away, but instead focus on a small area of the extra display not going all the way across the top.
    We all have our preferences, features that matter more to us than they do to others.

The iPhone line is mature now, boring if you will when it comes to yearly updates. My iPhone XS Max performs as well now as it did when I bought it and I am in no rush to replace it. The fact that the iPhone 13 is 50% (or whatever it is) faster than my iPhone is irrelevant to me whilst my iPhone launches the apps I use, like Safari, immediately anyway.

I’ll look to replace my current handset either when it dies or when the notch dies a death. 

As I said the notch was a compromise I was willing to accept when it was released. At the time I decided I’d not replace until they removed it and I’m sticking with that.

To you it might not be important, and yes I’m used to it. But I still know it there and I still want it gone.
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 25
    saarek said:
    Xed said:
    saarek said:

We all have our preferences, features that matter more to us than they do to others.

The iPhone line is mature now, boring if you will when it comes to yearly updates. My iPhone XS Max performs as well now as it did when I bought it and I am in no rush to replace it. The fact that the iPhone 13 is 50% (or whatever it is) faster than my iPhone is irrelevant to me whilst my iPhone launches the apps I use, like Safari, immediately anyway.

I’ll look to replace my current handset either when it dies or when the notch dies a death. 

As I said the notch was a compromise I was willing to accept when it was released. At the time I decided I’d not replace until they removed it and I’m sticking with that.

To you it might not be important, and yes I’m used to it. But I still know it there and I still want it gone.
    So the giant forehead and chin is fine but adding a lot more display, making a much better phone (which includes Face ID tech) is worth hating what is effectively no chin and a very small forehead?

What's the other option? No Face ID tech in the iPhone until such unknown time when all the sensors can be behind the already much larger display than when they only had Touch ID? That doesn't seem like a good trade off to hinder technological progress and functionality for your minor aesthetic issue.
    edited December 2021
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Apple waits until it can be done right, not just done to to check a box. It’s like when people look at a PC laptop and a Mac laptop and see they both have trackpads, then check the box, not realizing that Apple’s trackpad is in a class of itself in performance. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Someone is always crying about the notch.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Xed said:
    saarek said:
    Xed said:
    saarek said:

So the giant forehead and chin is fine but adding a lot more display, making a much better phone (which includes Face ID tech) is worth hating what is effectively no chin and a very small forehead?

What's the other option? No Face ID tech in the iPhone until such unknown time when all the sensors can be behind the already much larger display than when they only had Touch ID? That doesn't seem like a good trade off to hinder technological progress and functionality for your minor aesthetic issue.
    I think it’s you who doesn’t get this, not me. I own an iPhone XS Max, so obviously accepted the trade offs for the benefit.

At the same time I personally have no plan to replace the phone until either it dies and I’m forced too, or until the notch is gone.

Other companies have already worked out how to hide the sensors behind the display until they’re needed. But that option is not yet perfected.

I’m sure Apple will eventually perfect and then release it. All going well within the next two generations. They’ll certainly have me as a day one order when they do so.
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 25
    saarek said:
    Xed said:
    saarek said:
    Xed said:
    saarek said:

I think it’s you who doesn’t get this, not me. I own an iPhone XS Max, so obviously accepted the trade offs for the benefit.

At the same time I personally have no plan to replace the phone until either it dies and I’m forced too, or until the notch is gone.

Other companies have already worked out how to hide the sensors behind the display until they’re needed. But that option is not yet perfected.

I’m sure Apple will eventually perfect and then release it. All going well within the next two generations. They’ll certainly have me as a day one order when they do so.
    You stated that it's not perfected—and we're not even talking about Face ID-level sensors—but you still don't get that you have a lot more display now than you did with Touch ID.

I'll never understand this mentality that wants a company to add a feature just because someone else has it without one iota of concern about its utility.

PS: Do you understand that Apple has been working on Touch ID behind the display for many, many years, right? This also has not been perfected and yet you can find devices that have this feature.