Pismo upgrade: 500 G4 vs. 800 G3

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have to be mobile for the spring and summer, so I picked up a cheap Powerbook Pismo G3 400, added a 40 GB Hard Drive, 1 GB of RAM, and plan on getting one of the powerlogix upgrades for it.

The next question would be: which upgrade to get? I just wanted to hear some people's opinions on 500 G4 vs. 800 G3. I plan on using the computer for internet, iTunes, and iMovie mostly- in OSX. By the way, the G4 costs $279 and the G3 costs $379. Powerlogix did some benchmarking, which can be read at: Performance Benchmarks

So help me out... on a budget... do I go for the Altivec with lower clock speed for less money, or do I spend the extra $100 for the clock speed and lose out on the Altivec??? (and yes, I know the G3 is not available yet, but a rep at powerlogix said it would be VERY soon).

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I say go with the g3, Altivec really needs a huge bus speed to flex its muscle to full strength which it would need to do to keep pace with the 800MHz g3.

Also the g3 will run cooler and use less power.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Although I think that the 800 G3 will generally outperform the G4, I don't think it would be $100 worth of difference, at least not for me, but then again, I'm just a poor college student.

Pocket the extra hundred and save it for the next laptop you buy.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I'd say go for the G4. I don't think there's much performance difference just in general use (Finder, iChat, Mail, browsing, iTunes) between a 500 MHz G4 and an 800 MHz G3. My 800 MHz iBook is usually about the same as my dad's 550 MHz TiBook. But the G4 is cheaper, and it has Altivec, so get that!
  • Reply 4 of 15
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I'd say go for the G4. I don't think there's much performance difference just in general use (Finder, iChat, Mail, browsing, iTunes) between a 500 MHz G4 and an 800 MHz G3. My 800 MHz iBook is usually about the same as my dad's 550 MHz TiBook. But the G4 is cheaper, and it has Altivec, so get that!

Is this a joke? The 800MHz iBook trashes the old Ti's in terms of raw, non-AltiVec speed. Ask yourself how often you'll be encoding MP3's and editing DV footage in iMovie, and then ask yourself if it's worth the trade-off in heat and battery life. I'm not saying that the performance of this G3 processor will be identical to the current iBook, but let's not give the G4 more credit than it deserves. Even in its current state, it's inferior to IBM's five-stage portable powerhouse.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Not only am I down with what steve just said, I have a hunch that the 800 mhz G3 would stomp all over the slower g4 in mp3 encoding, etc.

Altivec only has a few specific applications. Everything else will be much better served by a much faster g3. Also, does the 800 mhz G3 not have 512KB, on-chip cache?

Moreover, if it is the G3 I'm thinking of, it has all sorts of under-the-hood tweaks to maximize the (relatively) slow 100 mhz bus of the Pismo, as well as a 256-bit wide, on-chip cache running at 800mhz.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Ok I stand corrected.

But that doesn't change the fact that my dad's PowerBook feels almost as fast as my iBook despite being 250 MHz slower. It must just be the Altivec kicking in. I use it very little so normally the only indication of speed I get is browsing through Finder, which is both Altivec enhanced and not a great way at gauging speed. From testing the two side-by-side in XBench, I found that my iBook was significantly faster on the CPU (especially floating point, iBooks seems to r0x0r at that), slightly slower for the HD, and slightly better for graphics.

So I suppose it's your choice. Looks like I can't change my vote. But I'd probably go for the G4 anyway just because it's cheaper. However I don't really know the current situation you're in with money, so maybe I'm way off base with that. Also, it's usually not wise to get a product the moment it comes out... PowerLogix has had numerous problems with CPU upgrades, sometimes resulting in many-month waits during which there's little communication and you're left with a non-working computer. I'm not saying that you'll get ripped off... I'm just saying to be cautious. The G4/500s are somewhat of a "known quantity" so it might be a safer, although not really faster, choice.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    The G4 is the better choice...

sure it has a lower clock, but it is $100 cheaper, about a 25% savings over the G3...

The G3 will be faster for most (all?) tasks... but there is no power savings... because the clock of the G3 is higher, any power savings advantage of the G3 over the G4 is negated... in fact I would bet that the G3 uses more power due to its smaller cache (512k vs 1MB on the G4)

the question is whether or not the speed increase is worth the $100.... I'm betting $100 saved now is worth more then a marginal increase in speed... chances are you will replace the computer in 2 years or os regardless of which processor you buy... so why not save some $?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    I don't believe there was a 1MB cache on the 500MHz G4 (I may be wrong, though).

The 800MHz G3 is a mobile chip. It's designed to be as power-efficient as humanly possible. The G4, ESPECIALLY the old 500's (before Motorola really started trying to pin down the power issues), was not entirely designed for use in laptops, but it's come this far because its predecessors were embedded processors. Through the magic of Apple engineering, they've seen the light of day in one-inch-thin, Titanium frames, but don't make the mistake that clock speed has much pertinence on the battery life issue.

The G4 is cheaper, but you've already invested this much money into the souped up Pismo, so you might as well splurge on the most important component.

Don't be fooled. Go with the G3, Toadie. I mean, maybe if Steve Jobs was here to do a bake-off, my words would only appear moderately convincing, but the second-rate RDF these guys are dishing out has no chance.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Even I voted for the G3. Is it cooler? Less power? If yes and yes G3.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    toadietoadie Posts: 78member
    Thanks for all of the great replies so far... in the grand scheme of things I guess $100 is not going to make a huge difference for me...

The 750 FX is going to use less power and produce less heat. It has the 512KB of on-chip cache, and the processor speed can be reduced on-the-fly between 800 MHz and 300 MHz to save power if needed.

Argh... the votes are nearly equal. Time may be the telling factor if the G3 is not available within the next 3 weeks.

I should get an extra daughter card and get 'em both!!!!
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Go for the G3 800 upgrade (Mount my floppy is right in saying that you need a lot of throughout).

BTW, the PowerLogix upgrade is an awesome idea. I have a Pismo 400 and I could only imagine the change a 800MHz upgrade would do to my PB. Too bad I don't have the dough.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

I say go with the g3, Altivec really needs a huge bus speed to flex its muscle to full strength which it would need to do to keep pace with the 800MHz g3.

Also the g3 will run cooler and use less power.

Not really. The altivec on the 7410 is quite potent because it operates on a 4 stage pipe and has its own cache. At a chip speed of 500Mhz you're not waiting too long in terms of memory cycles per chip cycles for the Altivec to grab the data, beyond that which Altivec takes anyway to access memory. Memory operations on the 7410 altivec are arguably faster than those on the 7450 series. Since a lot of uses of altivec are in limited memory (algoritms) the bus speed won't make as huge of a difference as you might think.

The only bonus of the 800Mhz G3 is the on chip cache. If it's a 5 stage processor I doubt there's any seriously important forwarding/bypassing. 800/5 = 160, 500/4 = 125.

Get whichever, but if you listen to mp3's you're using altivec, and more of the integer and floating point cores can be used for other stuff. . . Altivec has it's own registers, and i do believe it's own cache as well.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    I used to have a G3/400 pismo with 512Ram and I thought it was fine with OSX already so I dont think the G4 will help much. My question is, will the combined cost of the powerbook, HD, ram and Upgrade card still be less then a 14" iBook with a better graphics card? Why bother......
  • Reply 14 of 15
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I've got a feeling you'll be going with the G4/500. PowerLogix has been advertising this fictional G3/800 upgrade for months now (I even asked the same question in a thread a couple of months ago) and it has yet to appear.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I also inquired about the G3/800 upgrade, and was told "within two weeks" two weeks ago (March 18th). If you do decide to go with the G3/800 (my recommendation), try to post some before and after benchmarks. Remember - Motorola: Good IBM:Better.