First Thread-enabled HomeKit blinds now available to order ahead of official launch

Posted:
in General Discussion
The first Thread-enabled and HomeKit-compatible smart blinds -- a partnership between Eve and Coulisse -- are now available to customize and order ahead of the promised early-2022 deadline.

Eve OmniaBlinds
Eve OmniaBlinds

HomeKit maker Eve Systems struck a partnership with established blinds manufacturer Coulisse to create the OmniaBlinds, each sticking to its strengths. The blinds are created by Coulisse while the motor is designed by Eve.

Users can measure their windows and then use the online buying guide to select fabric swatches, housing colors, and more as they customize their shades. The blinds are then built to order and will ship worldwide.

The motor is battery powered and recharged via USB-C. Unlike existing smart shades on the market from the likes of Lutron or Hunter Douglas, they don't require a hub to operate. They connect to Homekit via Thread, or Bluetooth if a Thread border router is unavailable. A HomePod mini or the latest-generation Apple TV 4K can act as Thread border routers in your home.

Originally, Eve had promised that the new Thread-enabled blinds would be available in early 2022, but it seems they've been able to shun the now-common supply chain issues plaguing the rest of the tech industry to release them sooner.

If you'd like to order a few sets for your home, you can order them now from the OmniaBlinds website. Pricing starts at $318.

Read on AppleInsider
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I’ll stick with my $160 IKEA blinds. They work perfectly well with HomeKit via a $35 hub.
    Japheywilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 5
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    At least in my country ikea only do up to 140cm when a standard window is 180cm.

but yes one heck of a lot cheaper than these blinds even if you have to purchase a hub on top.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    When these were first announced, they were being touted as HomeKit blinds for the masses. That to me sounded like it would be something a little more affordable and inline with IKEA’s prices. I’m sure these will be great but it would cost a fortune for me to go with these. Patiently waiting for Aqara to release the E1 roller motor in the US. All their products have been extremely reliable and affordable. I’d love to give them more of my business 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    itinj24 said:
    When these were first announced, they were being touted as HomeKit blinds for the masses. That to me sounded like it would be something a little more affordable and inline with IKEA’s prices. I’m sure these will be great but it would cost a fortune for me to go with these. Patiently waiting for Aqara to release the E1 roller motor in the US. All their products have been extremely reliable and affordable. I’d love to give them more of my business 
    I ordered the E1 motors off eBay to Canada (they shipped from Europe, I think Slovenia). They arrived very quickly and work like a charm. I will definitely consider these when I move into a larger space but likely only for a specific room or 2.
    edited December 2021 itinj24watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    vc2020 said:
    itinj24 said:
    I ordered the E1 motors off eBay to Canada (they shipped from Europe, I think Slovenia). They arrived very quickly and work like a charm. I will definitely consider these when I move into a larger space but likely only for a specific room or 2.
    So you can use them in North America? Do you need a plug adapter?  What the heck am I waiting for then lol. 
    watto_cobra