Xserve-based DVD Duplicator?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So...I'm looking at getting a DVD Duplicator for my business, as the prices have dropped sharply lately. I can order something like this:

http://www.octave.com/cgi-bin/shop/s...tem/1042578310

or...I can put together my own PC with IDE cards, software, a fulltower ATX case and software. Costs approximately the same, maybe a little more for expensive software.

But I was thinking...I put together all my DVDs on my Powermac. Why

can't I connect the duplicator to the Mac and control it from there?

http://www.apple.com/xserve/raid/

Check out the Xserve RAID. Wouldn't it be cool if Apple made a similar device full of DVD-Rs instead of hard drives?

An Apple DVD duplicator could be controlled by Firewire or Fibre channel. A one-click DVD duplicating addition to Disc Burner, Toast, or DVD Studio Pro that "just works" could simplify workflow big time. Scalable, relatively small, rackmountable...what's not to like?

Apple has been trying to capture all aspects of media postproduction. Offering a DVD duplicator would cover another market, without costing much in terms of R & D.

Edited to clarify my point about an Apple-branded DVD Duplicator. I'm sorry I used the term 'Xserve-based.' I don't mean Apple should stick a bunch of DVD-Rs inside an Xserve. What I mean is a similar design and approach to the Xserve (rackmountable, turnkey, works well with Apple workstations).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The main purpose of this duplicator is to make copies without a computer, so the DVD dup'er has the basic computer components inside. It is a hard drive to store the data and a card and some chips. Not very impressive. An Xserve would be overkill to duplicate cd's, not to mention the constant attention it would need. There are other systems that duplicate cd's and print labels that report back to the computer. You might look at some of those.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    eupfhoriaeupfhoria Posts: 257member
    He is talking about DVDs
  • Reply 3 of 5
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Can someone kill this thread, this is more bollocks than I can stand in one session!?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    OK, I ment DVD. The systems can also burn DVD's. Don't have to be so finiky about it. \
  • Reply 5 of 5
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    yeah ur better off not using a computer to duplicate dvds. Just get one of those duplicators. They are pricey but if u want an xserve then u can probably afford it.