Everything we know about the 'Apple Watch Series 8' and what it may look like

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2022
The "Apple Watch Series 8" is expected to adopt an entirely new design in late 2022. Here's what it may look like and what to expect.

The flat-sided 'Apple Watch Series 8'
The flat-sided 'Apple Watch Series 8'

Apple hasn't changed much about the Apple Watch design since its initial launch in 2015. The display has expanded, and new features were added, but little else differentiates the exterior design.

A new flat-sided chassis may be used for the "Apple Watch Series 8" to help differentiate the model and bring it in line with other products. When the original Apple Watch launched, its rounded sides mimicked the iPhone 6. Since then, nearly every Apple product has moved to a flat-sided design with rounded corners and minimal bezels.

Rumors show that Apple could shift the Apple Watch to this new flat-sided design philosophy in 2022. Initially, Jon Prosser mistakingly assumed leaked photos showed the Apple Watch Series 7 but has since doubled down on them depicting the next model instead.

The Apple Watch Series 7 was seen by pundits as a minimal release since it didn't include new health features and expanded the display slightly. Since Apple tends to release new designs in tick-tick-tock cycles, this means the "Apple Watch Series 8" is ripe for a significant design shift.

Apple's starlight color replaced silver in the Apple Watch Series 7
Apple's starlight color replaced silver in the Apple Watch Series 7

The display will likely remain similar to the Apple Watch Series 7, with a curved glass cover and rounded edges. The speaker and microphone cutouts could change shape or size based on the available leaks, with two speaker cutouts instead of one.

New health features could come alongside the new design, at least according to some rumors. The company openly promotes Apple Watch as a life-saving product, so increasing the health benefits of owning one is key to its success.

Curved glass for the sensor housing keeps the flat aluminum from pinching the skin
Curved glass for the sensor housing keeps the flat aluminum from pinching the skin

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has shared multiple reports stating that Apple is looking into temperature sensors, but that depends on getting the algorithm to work before release. An integrated temperature sensor could warn users of abnormal body conditions like an onset fever before symptoms begin.

Apple is looking into other health sensors like unintrusive blood glucose monitoring, but that is still years away from making it into the Apple Watch. Beyond the complications of dealing with the FDA, the technology isn't ready.

While glucose monitoring might not happen until closer to 2030, Mark Gurman said blood pressure monitoring is only two to three years away. He's also suggested that temperature sensing may not arrive in the 2022 model.

Midnight and Starlight Apple Watches with flat-sided designs
Midnight and Starlight Apple Watches with flat-sided designs

Even if no new sensors are included in the new Apple Watch, Apple could use a new processor to improve existing systems. Machine learning is an integral part of health data collection, and a more powerful processor may be able to extrapolate health trends earlier and more accurately.

Apple may further differentiate its "Apple Watch Series 8" lineup with up to three display sizes and a new rugged option. Accurate display supply chain analyst Ross Young suggests that the Apple Watch display size could increase again, leading to three size classes.

The "Apple Watch Series 8" is due to launch in September 2022, redesigned or not.

Read on AppleInsider
patchythepiratejahblade

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    That's my target.  But, with a few annoyances, my Series 4 still works well.

I suspect though that a new one may be less likely to drop the heart rate while I'm doing a Fitness+ workout on the treadmill.   It's annoying to be at 90% and look down to see my heart rate greyed out -- then, after a hard run my heart rate shows I just did an easy walk.

But I wish that it would measure both blood pressure and SpO2 levels during exercise.  A spot measurement after a workout (like the EKG) won't help me much.   (But it could be helpful to others who don't already track those things).
    edited January 2022
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Rumors of this design have been around since just before the release of Series 7! I think this design sux. I much prefer the sleek look of the existing design. Not everything needs to look like an iPhone/iPad. This new design "language" was widely predicted for the 2021 MacBook Pros and it didn't happen. So, here's hoping.

I'm still completely satisfied with my rose gold series 4 with a matching Milanese loop. Elegant! 
    edited January 2022 dws-2
  • Reply 3 of 19
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    I hope the curve won't be where the display is. The curve really threw me out. It is like the old days of curved TV tubes. It was never desirable. 

• Reply 4 of 19
    Rumor sites tend to brush over the fact that the rounded corners are also an ergonomics choice. Flat edges make things stick to it easier, such as a wire or cloth. Rounded corners have less friction. Apple has to cater for a wide range of use-cases, including dock workers, athletes, business man, active young adults, et cetera. 

Secondly, depending on the design, flat edges may collect dirt on the edges. Unlike a phone, the watch is used without a cover. Obviously, Apple will research the heck out of the design prior to release; all I’m saying is that super flat edges don’t feel like the right design for a smart watch. 
    GeorgeBMacFidonet127dws-2
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Rumors of this design have been around since just before the release of Series 7! I think this design sux. I much prefer the sleek look of the existing design. Not everything needs to look like an iPhone/iPad. This new design "language" was widely predicted for the 2021 MacBook Pros and it didn't happen. So, here's hoping.

I'm still completely satisfied with my rose gold series 4 with a matching Milanese loop. Elegant! 

I agree.  unless there is a functional advantage to straight sides they just won't look right on a watch.  They'll look chunky and blocky.
    dws-2
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Aktiia wearable uses light to monitor blood pressure, 24/7
    https://newatlas.com/health-wellbeing/aktiia-blood-pressure-wearable/
    ...at CES 2022, however, the Aktiia company announced the product's upcoming availability to US customers.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 19
    steveinet said:
    ...at CES 2022, however, the Aktiia company announced the product's upcoming availability to US customers.

That is goal.
    many physicians now realize how inadequate and often inaccurate their in-office measurements are and recommend home based measurement.   But that suffers from the same limitations of sporadic measurements taken under specific circumstances.  (I only measure mine in the mornings while relaxed).

Continuous measurement would provide much better, more accurate information.   But too:  the standards would have to be adjusted because the current standard assumes a sitting position with legs uncrossed after a 5 minute cool-down period.   That's a much different reading from an Amazon warehouse employee constantly running to fill orders.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    steveinet said:

That is goal.
    many physicians now realize how inadequate and often inaccurate their in-office measurements are and recommend home based measurement.   But that suffers from the same limitations of sporadic measurements taken under specific circumstances.  (I only measure mine in the mornings while relaxed).

Continuous measurement would provide much better, more accurate information.   But too:  the standards would have to be adjusted because the current standard assumes a sitting position with legs uncrossed after a 5 minute cool-down period.   That's a much different reading from an Amazon warehouse employee constantly running to fill orders.
    This is due to pulse varies greatly between activities. Blood pressure is strongly correlated with pulse.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 19
    So this is what the rumor mill has come to? If the "leaked designs" that are absolutely, positively for this year's new model prove to be totally wrong, the leaker just rolls them over and claims they're for next year's model! What a great way to insure that rumors are never wrong! 

The flat-sided design is mostly reminiscent of the early and clunky Casio watch/calculators, so if you want to look like you're wearing a computer on your wrist, this design is perfect for you! I don't think the general public will agree. Apple has been marketing the Watch as fashion, and this clunky, brick-like, flat-sided look is definitely not that. But if you're the type who likes buying parts to build your own desktop computer, I can see how this look might be appealing. 
    edited January 2022 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 19
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I really hope it doesn’t have those ugly flat sides. That really looks cheap.
    edited January 2022 GeorgeBMacdws-2
  • Reply 11 of 19
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    steveinet said:

That is goal.

This is due to pulse varies greatly between activities. Blood pressure is strongly correlated with pulse.
    Not during readings it doesn’t. I have high blood pressure. Even with medication it varies widely. I can have a reading of 118/67 and a pulse of 76, but a reading of 137/84 and a pulse of 63. Walking, it can go to 101 for the pulse, but with the arm cuff Intellisense model I have from OMRON, which doesn’t need the separate unit that sits on the table, but syncs with my iPhone, the blood pressure can remain in the 120-125 over 70-80 range.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    melgross said:
    I really hope it doesn’t have those ugly flat sides. That really looks cheap.

I agree.
    And I disagree with the article that says the rounded sides on the Series 0 were emulating the iPhone 6 (and implying that it's time for an "update).

Apple pushed the Series 0 as a fashion accessory -- probably in an effort to keep it from being labelled as a computer on your wrist and therefor only for geeks and nerds.   While they have progressed from that, people are still fashion conscious and don't want to strap a computer onto their wrists -- which is what a flat sided Apple Watch would resemble.

Apple has never been one to update something simply to update it -- similar to GM of the 60's changing some body panels and calling it a new and improved car (change for change sake).  And, I hope that Apple never starts that nonsense.

edited February 2022
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Yes to flat sides! Reminds me of old square analog watches. Now, if they could just make it thinner with longer battery life!

This fall it’s time to say goodbye to my series 1 and get series 7 or 8, depending what actually comes out. 
  • Reply 14 of 19
    jffdxjffdx Posts: 12member
    Calling the design update cadence “tick tick tock” is wrong. There were four models on the original design (0, 1, 2 and 3), and 4 models on the second design (4, 5, 6 and SE. The Series 7 is another redesign and has obvious updates to my eyes. 

GeorgeBMacclemynx
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I won't wear something with hard edges on my body. It's bad enough on the edges of laptop keyboards.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    The render definitely looks cheap. Flat sides with a polished finish as with the iPhones could look fine indeed. I like the look, but still prefer the rounded sides as is. It makes the Watch look slightly thinner, less bulky.

I'd really like to see Apple offer a round version of a Watch. Note that I said version, not replacement. It would be something akin to a MacBook vs a MacBook Pro, a coupé vs a sloon, shorts vs trousers.

"A square watch is more efficient blah blah blah..." I really don't care. It's not always necessary to have all the features all the time. I'd be both a rectangular and round Watch in the same series if it were possible.

Apple sees the rectangle as its iconic shape, one that competition has copied. Sammy started with round and Apple doesn't want to be seen as copying unless it can claim a unique implementation. So a round Apple Watch will probably never happen.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,239member
    I'm still very happy with my series 4. It was a huge upgrade relative to my series 0. Newer models seem nice, but not as compelling an upgrade as the 4 was relative to 0. 

I imagine I'll wait a few more years yet before upgrading. I plan to get a new iPhone this year (14pro to replace 11pro); maybe a new iPad next year (to replace A10X 12.9"). Maybe the Watch can be the year after that. 
  • Reply 18 of 19
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    One sensor no one is talking about that I would really enjoy is sun exposure. Set an exposure time based on skin type and user preference and warn the user how long they can stay under the sun with that sun intensity.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    charlesn said:
    So this is what the rumor mill has come to? If the "leaked designs" that are absolutely, positively for this year's new model prove to be totally wrong, the leaker just rolls them over and claims they're for next year's model! What a great way to insure that rumors are never wrong! 

The flat-sided design is mostly reminiscent of the early and clunky Casio watch/calculators, so if you want to look like you're wearing a computer on your wrist, this design is perfect for you! I don't think the general public will agree. Apple has been marketing the Watch as fashion, and this clunky, brick-like, flat-sided look is definitely not that. But if you're the type who likes buying parts to build your own desktop computer, I can see how this look might be appealing. 
    I too doubt this design will come to fruition; but then again I thought Apple would never add a notch to the Mac. 

That we are still quoting that clown Prosser is ridiculous.