Good software to design web pages... suggestions any one?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
My wife wants to build a web page for her herd of friends, and she is raising some serious challenges. She wants to include pictures(no big deal), movie clips, updateable calendars and a password protected area with contact information for the whole herd. Any suggestions on software to create such a site. I have never built a site like this so the program will need pretty good help functions. I already own Photshop 7, Illustrator 10, Freehand 10 and a dot mac subscription to house the site. Any suggestions would be great.

edit: this may need to be in the genius bar but it's about software

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    TextEdit and OmniWeb.

Seriously. All of the templates for this site have been made in TextEdit. I load the files in OmniWeb's HTML editor just to use the "Reformat" tool.

WYSIWYG editors are nasty. They still don't generate "good enough" good in my opinion. I recommend a good text editor and a link to the World Wide Web Consortium and the patience to learn HTML coding the right way.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    MacOS X *USED* to come with a nice little HTMLEdit app. WSYIWYG, and simplistic, but it let you mock up pretty complex stuff rapidly, then hand-tweak all to heck and back. Dunno why it got tossed. :/

Then again, I'm really loving CSS, so until I can get a good CSS editor (BBEdit is too $ for my tastes for just occassional use), I guess I'm stuck hand-editing from scratch. :P
  • Reply 3 of 16
    What about TidyLib is that going to accomplish the same thing that Omniweb does for you Brad.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/index.shtml

...or, she can always can hire me!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Well it all really depends on two things:

1) your skill level, specifically: have you ever programmed before?

2) the kind of site you want to design

If the answer to #1 is "gosh no" then you're going to WANT a WYSIWYG program, or better yet, just get a .Mac account and use iCal to do your calendar program.....

...graphic designers and web designers have a common frustration when people think that there's just a magic button in these programs that magically generate great graphics and/or code.

If your answer to #1 was "heck yeah" then I'd still want to know how patient you are with hand-coding a site. Me? Have no tolerance for it, give me a WYSIWYG editor any day.

I personally use Adobe GoLive 6.0 and am very happy with the depth it provides me. I'm willing to bet that if I ran a fine tooth code-comb through my code that I'd find a lot of bugs, but it works for what I need.

Just remember: it aint' cheap!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I use BBedit, and Dreamweaver for complex tables.. Its really up to you.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    try freeway (versiontracker) from application system heidelberg; they do have a 30 day free trial version. it has a gui like illustartor, quark, you name it, very intuitive and a cheap XLE version (49?)
  • Reply 8 of 16
    chilleymacchilleymac Posts: 142member
    I have downloaded trial versions of BBedit and Adobe Golive. I bought a book on HTML programming and I am trying to teach it to my self but so far Golive seems like the better fit. I may also try and check out Freeway.

Thanks for all of the help.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I'll throw Stone Studio's Create and Deneba's Canvas into the ring, too. They can do web pages, and they're both scriptable (Create is to an almost absurd degree) so if you're willing to take a little time you can automate a lot of the work.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I'll throw Stone Studio's Create and Deneba's Canvas into the ring, too. They can do web pages, and they're both scriptable (Create is to an almost absurd degree) so if you're willing to take a little time you can automate a lot of the work.

I second that. Create is an awesome app.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    SIMPLE TEXT

• Reply 12 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Personally I use Project Builder. . . It has syntax highlighting and in free with OS X.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    When you click on this page the text turns pink. Very annoying. http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/
  • Reply 14 of 16
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

SIMPLE TEXT

What are you, some kind of pussy? Real men use vi.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    scarecrowscarecrow Posts: 148member
    PageSpinner or BBedit.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Well on my TiBook I use BBEdit and Dreamweaver MX. Most WYSIWYG editors insert unneeded code sometimes and I find myself sometimes cleaning it up. DW throughout the years has gotten better especially after their thing with Allaire happened. They got ahold of HomeSite(PC Only) and found out what clean code is.