Pics of my iBook screen flicker

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I posted these pics in the forever long FCibook thread but I am afraid it will get no attention there. My ibook boots up to this and then dies. Yes it is still under warranty but I have some stuff on there that I would like to get off before I send it in the the crowbar monkeys. Any suggestions on how to get the data off?

Money well spent!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trailmaster308

Any suggestions on how to get the data off?

Don't all 800 MHz iBooks have built-in CD burning capability? Buy a bunch of CD-Rs..you can find 100-pack spindles for ~$15 if you look hard enough...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Don't all 800 MHz iBooks have built-in CD burning capability? Buy a bunch of CD-Rs..you can find 100-pack spindles for ~$15 if you look hard enough...

I would if I could get to a log on screen. The pics I took is as far as the thing will go. Grey Grey Grey Black.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    If someone you know has a Mac with a burner, grab a Firewire cable and use target disk mode to mount your iBook as an external hard drive and then burn your data from that Mac.

If you don't know someone with a Mac, maybe you can borrow one at an Apple Store or CompUSA or Fry's....
  • Reply 4 of 13
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    do you have access to a F/W mac? if so you can boot up holding down the "t" key and this will turn the ibook into an external HD... you can then hook it up to any f/w computer and back up the files you want to save...

or you could just send it in and have apple backup the files for you... only $50 and you only get charged if they have to format the computer... saves you the trouble...

hth

-Paul
  • Reply 5 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    you add any new hardware lately?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Well I'm not completely sure, but as I replyed in another thread this again sounds familiar. My friend had he same problem and it was the logic board. After it was replaced he got his iBook back and all his files were still there.

About target disk mode -- If this really is the same logic board problem, you can prepare yourself for the next level of the problem which is that soon your iBook wont start at all. I dont know why it is so, but it seems that this starts with small problems and gets worse every day until it wont start at all.

-Snowster
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

If someone you know has a Mac with a burner, grab a Firewire cable and use target disk mode to mount your iBook as an external hard drive and then burn your data from that Mac.

If you don't know someone with a Mac, maybe you can borrow one at an Apple Store or CompUSA or Fry's....

I will try this on my imac. hopefully it will work. thanks for all the replys.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

you add any new hardware lately?

No. Its the same as the day I bought it 7 months ago. I have not loaded any software nor have I d/l anything in the last two weeks on it.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    I had exactly that problem and in the end sent it back to Apple to get it fixed and they had to replace logic board TWICE...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    check out the link i posted in CH in fellowship's thread. i wonder if apple isn't using some of those bad capacitors as well.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Yeah I read that. Thanks for the link. Im beginning to wonder it myself. I just got off the phone with apple tech support. I told him I needed to have a box sent to me so I could send it in and he wanted to do all this troubleshooting (which I know is his job) until I told him what it was doing and pointed him to my screen shots. He immediately set up a ticket and is having a box sent my way. Apple was very very nice about the whole thing.

I asked him if he has had many calls about this type of problem and he said "uhh I really can't say". Well I can make due without for a while. At least I still have my ipod and imac.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    looks like a bad logic board and seems to behave like that as well.

just send it to be fixed if you can't save the files. they very probably on't need to format it.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mulattabianca

looks like a bad logic board and seems to behave like that as well.

just send it to be fixed if you can't save the files. they very probably on't need to format it.

Target disk mode definately the way to go

If not pop the hd out and pop it into another comp.