Keynote Users: What's the best wireless remote?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am thinking about purchasing a wireless remote control to control my Keynote presentations but I am not certain which one to purchase. Does anyone have any experience with these remotes and Keynote?

The Keyspan remote seems to be the most widely available and apparently is Keynote compatible, but I read that it is sometimes unreliable and that the laser is difficult to turn on. Additionally I have read that the strength of the laser is weak.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    sony t68i

+ romeo, 'cause it's a remote AND a telephone ;-)))))

to be serios: i do use this config (t68+bluetooth adap on ibook) and it works excellent! you can even use the mouse pointer, 'cause romeo supports this feature.-
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I've used to use a Keyspan Digital Media Remote. It works, but then you have to carry around the receiver and remote, and I find it slow to respond. Now, I use my T68i along with SE Clicker to control Keynote. I carry around my USB Bluetooth adaptor anyways, so it was an easy choice. Plus, you don't need to point your phone in line of sight with the receiver, like the Keyspan DMR, which I find makes a big difference for me.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i think keyspan would do well to make a v. 2.0 of their remote, operating via bluetooth instead of line-of-sight infrared. it would be a very good digital hub controller, for itunes playback, volume control, dvd control, keynote presentations from anywhere in an auditorium, etc. (with bluetooth, you could even be a room away -- a small room, but a room nonetheless).

now that macs seem to be going with bluetooth either pre-installed or "ready," i think it's safe for them to try this market. especially before apple does this with the next ipod (which i predict... it's also why i think apple stopped griffin from selling the ipod remote device that they showed off at macworld july... or was that the previous macworld san fran? there were pictures of it in macaddict one issue).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    luigiluigi Posts: 34member
    Thanks for the input everyone.

The t68 option is out for me because I don't have bluetooth and becuase I'm in a long cell phone contract already. As far as I am aware, the Keyspan Digitial Media Remote is IR, but the Keyspan Presentation Remote is RF, meaning no line of site issues.

I've narrowed down my search between the Interlink Navigator and the Remote Presenter RF from Street Smart.

The Interlink Navigator has a nice form factor and a laser, but it is not programmable. It also has a range of 50 ft. I believe that it should be compatible with Keynote because it sends the page up, page down, and blank commands which keynote appears to understand during presentation mode.

The Remote Presenter RF is smaller and looks like a keychain alarm controller for your car. It claims to have a range of 100ft. and also has a laser. I have not yet been able to contact the company about its Mac OSX and Keynote compatibility.