Quark 5 / Book Design Question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a book design job. It was started by another designer, who dropped it. He has the Quark 5 files and Pictures in a weird structure I haven't seen before.

The book is over 240 pages long. There is the main folder. Then within that, 6 other folders. Within each is a .qxd document (pages 1-20) and a Pictures folder with the linked images for that .qxd file.

Now the client wants to add more photos and copy. I have always seen (in most cases, haven't done much book design work) a main folder, within that a single Quark file and Pictures folder. Nothing like this.

So I want to basically join all the pages from the other .qxds and create one .qxd for the whole book and one separate Pictures folder.

Is this feasable? The right course to take? Right now this current structure is confusing and will, in the long run with editing and adding photos get even more problematic. I think...

Any tips, thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    In 4.0 I don't remeber joining documents to be a feature. . . I know I've spent time doing it manually. (pain in the ass.)

But if you export them to PDF, you can join the PDFs.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

In 4.0 I don't remeber joining documents to be a feature. . . I know I've spent time doing it manually. (pain in the ass.)

But if you export them to PDF, you can join the PDFs.

Yeah, I think it is manual. Copy paste or drag and drop...been a while since I really used Quark. I don't have much of a time constraint with the project so I thought I would try it out.

Do printers have a preferred method for books done in Quark. Multiple qxds to a single qxd?

Hmmm. Does Quark 5 have the tools to join the PDFs or do I have to have Acrobat for that...? I've been trying to convince the client to have a PDF version for the web site...

Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

Yeah, I think it is manual. Copy paste or drag and drop...been a while since I really used Quark. I don't have much of a time constraint with the project so I thought I would try it out.

Do printers have a preferred method for books done in Quark. Multiple qxds to a single qxd?

Hmmm. Does Quark 5 have the tools to join the PDFs or do I have to have Acrobat for that...? I've been trying to convince the client to have a PDF version for the web site...

Thanks.

regarding moving stuff from one doc to another, it's been a while but i believe the easiest way would be to go into thumbnail view and select the pages and drag or copy them into a new document. not sure if you can select multiple or just single pages. this will keep you from having to monkey with any positioning problems that might occur.

the only advantage i can see in having multiple docs would be for issues relating to file size. i could see breaking it up into chapters since you wouldn't have to worry about linked text flow from page to page. you'd have to watch your pagination. one doc seems the best way to tackle it in my opinion.