Endless router woes

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a 700Mhz iBook (the previous revision) w/ 128MB of RAM and Jaguar. I use a RoadRunner cable modem and a NetGear RP114 router to connect to the net.

A few months ago, the connection started to stall out every hour or two. It would eventually sort itself out. (Removing and replacing the Ethernet cable did it every time).

Last week however, it stalled out and remained stalled out. Removing and replacing the Ethernet cable did nothing. Trying to set my IP and Router info manually did nothing to help. Going into the Network Ports pane and selecting/deselecting the Ethernet port and applying the changes every time did nothing. It has continued nonstop since then.

When - on the extremely rare occasion I do get a connection it lasts maybe five minutes if that.

No settings on my Mac or my router have been changed. I did the usual "uplug modem and router - wait 60 seconds, plug in modem, plug in router" and that has not done anything.

All the other devices on my network (2 PCs, 1 Xbox) have not had a single problem.

I even tried buying a new router, using different cables and different (physical) ports on my router - and that has done nothing to help.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? I think I'm losing my mind here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    i don't know if i can help but sometimes it can be a really simple solution. When you unplugged the modem did you unplug it from the wall/powerstrip or from the back of the modem. Than actually makes a difference, you should unplug from the wall/powerstrip. Also how bout shutting all your machines off when you reset the modem. I imagine you have the router as a dhcp server to your computers. Its weird that your other computers work, have they always, like when you had the first problem. I dunno if it has anything to do with your problem, but I had a problem with RR where my connection would go out allot. They sent (after the third attempt) "the right guy" over and found out that the signal was too hot coming it and fixed it.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i had a similar situation where they tried to cap the signal coming into the house so that cable TV didn't go over the cable modem signal as well. however, when they did it my Mac could no longer connect. PC's worked just fine.

guy uncapped it and it worked perfectly again. tell them you think something is wrong with the signal coming into the house.

(have you tried you Mac elsewhere and had it work consistantly?)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    What do you mean by capped, cuz time warner does cap their cable modem speedwise
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Time Warner has been out to check the signal strength on several occasions. Everything checks out fine.

Haven't been able to try the iBook's connection out anywhere else yet - and won't for some time - the f#$#@%^ backlight died today. And a few months ago the latch gave out.

And other than a few crumbs in the keyboard - I take really good care of my stuff.

Oh, and my Xbox decided to die yesterday.

My VCR kicked the bucket the other week, too.

I better keep as far away from expensive tech products for the forseeable future.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Have u reset the router? Does time warner know u have a router?

How about upgrading the routers firmware?

Call time warner tell them ur cable modem fell and that the plastic covering broke off all over the place and now u can't get a connection. They won't shut off the service but they will come over with a guy to replace the modem itself. Then in that 6 hour time u have waiting for the cable guy throw the cable modem across the room as hard as possible. Make sure some plastic breaks off or some visible damage appears. The guy will come in and put a new modem in. If they don't see damage (they are retarded) the won't replace it.

Make sure that fag doesn't change ur homepage too I went to town on the last guy who tried doing that. I don't need the damn roadrunner website.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    actually where i am (NYC), its really easy to get them to change the modem, that's actually their favorite thing to do, and it usually helps nothing. they came and replaced my modem 3 times before I could get them to send the right guy to check the line signal and fix my problem. Also i bet if he told them he had a router they would blame the problem on that and then not help him anymore, since they want you to not use a router and buy an ip address for every computer you have at your home.

hmmm "throw the cable modem across the room as hard as possible." On second thought that would be kinda fun.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

actually where i am (NYC), its really easy to get them to change the modem, that's actually their favorite thing to do, and it usually helps nothing. they came and replaced my modem 3 times before I could get them to send the right guy to check the line signal and fix my problem. Also i bet if he told them he had a router they would blame the problem on that and then not help him anymore, since they want you to not use a router and buy an ip address for every computer you have at your home.

hmmm "throw the cable modem across the room as hard as possible." On second thought that would be kinda fun.

I'm in newyork and they can check the signal strength from there end most of the time.

The guy who saw my setup with a router didn't say anything. In fact a roadrunner guy told me to get a router to hook all my comps and i didn't need to notify them which i found odd but i took his advice.

When i first got teh cable modem the signal strenght was too strong and the comp woudn't connect. I remember when it did i would get crazy high speed test results that were ridiculous. they came and they put a coaxial cable splitter along the line and that did the trick.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

Or not so fun.

I accidentally dropped my cable modem on my PowerBook a few months ago and dented the trim around the screen. This sheared off one of the little set screws, and now the lower right corner of my screen is held in place by Krazy Glue (which accelerated the deterioration of the paint). A half-inch to the left, and my screen would have shattered.

With the run of bad luck Dr. Gonzo has been having, I wouldn't recommend throwing anything across the room...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    i'm having a similar problem w/ my iBook, except i have no ruoter just a dsl

ethernet modem over PPoE.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

Time Warner has been out to check the signal strength on several occasions. Everything checks out fine.

Haven't been able to try the iBook's connection out anywhere else yet - and won't for some time - the f#$#@%^ backlight died today. And a few months ago the latch gave out.

And other than a few crumbs in the keyboard - I take really good care of my stuff.

Oh, and my Xbox decided to die yesterday.

My VCR kicked the bucket the other week, too.

yikes, sounds like you've got bad power coming into your house. you may want to look into a UPS system or high quality surge protectors in the near future.

however, that doesn't solve your current problem.

send the iBook in to get fixed. when it comes back try it again. it might work now. sounds to me like there are some MB problems with the latest batch of iBooks. if it still doesn't work, try to find a place where you can test out your iBook elsewhere.

as for capping the signal, they were pushing through cable TV and the cable modem signal. when they tried to shut off the cable TV side of things, my Mac's wouldn't connect anymore, even though the PC's would. so they had to uncap it.