OSX computers like to disconect from appleshare server

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok so I have a network of 9 computers 5 os9, 3 osx and a server os9 (just a file server) running appleshare. Hooked up to a lynksys 4 port router (acting as a dhcp server) and a hub. I have all the machines auto mount the server hd on the desktop at boot up. For some reason the OSX machines like to disconnect from the server a couple of times a day. The os9 machines never disconnect. The only difference seems to be that the os9 machines connect via appleshare over appletalk and the OSX appleshare over TCP. Is their a setting I'm missing or is appleshare really flakey and doesn't like OSX. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

One other question, I'm in the process of upgrading everything to osx. If we just use the server as a file server would i be able to get away with just buying a regular copy of OSX not OSX server? It seems like any computer with just OSX on it can act as a simple file server for users to connect too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    If you want to use Client OS X as a fileserver there is an application called SharePoints that lets you set permissions on directorys. It also lets you create users and groups. The app come with an PreferencePane icon/alias.

To have the volume(s) automount there is an app called SharePoints AutoMounter that lets you do it.

Both applications can be found at www.versiontracker.com
  • Reply 2 of 2
    thanks