Seriously, Apple should by ReplayTV

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I just got my new Replay 4504 (laugh all you want, I love it) and this morning I sat at the breakfast table watching last night's The Daily Show streamed to my Titanium from my Replay over airport. I can download shows, burn them to DVD, change my recording schedual, etc... In short, it rocks!

If apple bought Replay, integrated iTunes and iPhoto sharing (playing iTunes through your stereo and photos for your tv screensaver), simplified the interface on the computer, and marketed it with airport extreme they could have the most compelling argument for the Mac being the ultimate digital hub, controlling and disseminating all media in the household.

They might also win a lot of new converts to the mac from the existing, loyal replayTV user base.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    The 'loyal replayTV userbase' is probably too small at the moment. But I can see Apple doing this kind of stuff in a few years.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    It's too late Nostradamus

ReplayTV and it's assets were purched by D&M Holdings. Who also happen to own Denon, Marantz, McIntosh and now ReplayTV and Rio.

Apple will have to "roll their own"

It's all coming together however. Should Apple see success with the Music Service I see no reason why Video couldn't end up being part of the future service.

For that to happen AAC needs to take off for audio and MPEG4 for Video. We need high quality A/V with low bandwidth consumption.

Quote:

Tivo already does this and it does this thru rendevous.

Yeah for $99 extra

Quote:

this is the sort of behaviour that got replay sued into the stone age (or bankruptcy)

No they were sued for the Commercial Auto Skip and the ability to send shows to other 4000 series RTV. You can use DVArchive 2.0 to pull off your files for burning right now.

Oops just read that link. Thanks Keyboardf12 Sonicblue is in a World of hurt. I think they carry alot of debt so I doubt that many companies will be willing to pay alot of money in these tough economic times. We'll see.

I still think Apple can roll their own., .mac can be the guide system and Quicktime the engine.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    > If apple bought Replay, integrated iTunes and iPhoto sharing (playing iTunes

Tivo already does this and it does this thru rendevous.

>rt. I can download shows, burn them to DVD, change my recording schedual, etc... In short, it rock

this is the sort of behaviour that got replay sued into the stone age (or bankruptcy)

>hey might also win a lot of new converts to the mac from the existing, >loyal replayTV user bas

if they bought Tivo they would have a larger base to convert

April 7 with be telling if apple is moving into this space.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Looks like Denon even gave up on Replay...

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news.../10791_2173631
  • Reply 5 of 16
    aureamauream Posts: 30member
    Yeah, D&M holdings did not go through with the purchase deal. ReplayTV will be up on the auction block come April 23, I believe. They had a great product, but as keyboardf12 mentioned, some of the coolest features had the most legal problems. Unfortunate, because I really liked them better than TiVo.

However, I really don't think they fit in with Apple's overall strategy.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    >I still think Apple can roll their own., .mac can be the guide system and Quicktime the engine.

I totally agree with that and aqua on my TV would be kinda cool...
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Regarding SonicBlue's lawsuit inviting behavouir, three words:

Rip, Mix, Burn.

I don't know if the MPAA would try and push around Apple the same way the tried to intimidate SonicBlue. Apple has the resources to fight back and I do think that their philosophy of empowering the user, not the RIAA or MPAA, is compatible with that of most replayTV users.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    >Rip, Mix, Burn.

I think there is a big difference between "rip mix burn" and replay's "record and pass around copyrighted material to all your friends anywhere in the world who also own a replay box. without the permission of the content providers"

no matter, its all in the past and its flagrant disregard for IP was in some part the cause of their downfall.

As for Big Corps not taking on Apple. They probably won't since apple will be working with them on solutions that work:

a) the rumored apple music service that works hand in hand with the record industry

b) al gore, who has contacts and at least one close friend at the RIAA unless i am mistaken.

I see apple being the "switerland"* of digital media. They are the perfect size to try out new paid content services and I see more not less relationships with the media compaines in the future.

*yes i am aware that switzerland ended up not acting very impartial during WW2 but you get the picture
  • Reply 9 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

Regarding SonicBlue's lawsuit inviting behavouir, three words:

Rip, Mix, Burn.

I don't know if the MPAA would try and push around Apple the same way the tried to intimidate SonicBlue. Apple has the resources to fight back and I do think that their philosophy of empowering the user, not the RIAA or MPAA, is compatible with that of most replayTV users.

They couldn't. Apple has a Team of Lawyers on Payroll.

I can't understand how someone makes a connection between Rip Mix Burn and Piracy(Eisener you idiot)

Rip- Ripping audio tracks from CDs ALREADY owned.

Mix- Create your MP3 playlist

Burn- Burn a Compilation Disc

Nowhere does this slogan from Apple say anything about downloading. Perception is different from everyones eyes but RMB is not about Piracy

I once was exited about PVR technology but once again the Multimedia Conglomerates have found a way to prevent me from recouping %20 of my precious time through litigation. Bastards
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Did you here that "supposedly" eisner _really_ pissed off Jobs with that dumb comment ( i think he was holding an ipod at the time too) He pissed off Jobs so much that when pixar was renewing their deal with disney, eisner apologized profusely but it did not much good. Pixar got a great deal and I bet it was partly due to Eisner's stupid comment....
  • Reply 11 of 16
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

Did you here that "supposedly" eisner _really_ pissed off Jobs with that dumb comment ( i think he was holding an ipod at the time too) He pissed off Jobs so much that when pixar was renewing their deal with disney, eisner apologized profusely but it did not much good. Pixar got a great deal and I bet it was partly due to Eisner's stupid comment....

It wouldn't surprise me one bit. Steve is one of the only executives with one foot in both content creation and personal computing (the other being Sony's CEO), and unlike Sony, where the respective divisions can't see eye to eye (to put it mildly), Steve seems to be quite capable of walking the line between the interests of the content producers and the interests of consumers. Given that, he probably has little patience with people like Eisner who subvert his efforts by accusing him of ignoring one side altogether.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me to here that Pixar and Disney split not least because that was only one of any number of disagreements between the two, and Steve figured that Pixar had finally established itself firmly enough that it didn't need to put up with Disney to get published. After all, there is bound to be tension between someone who believes firmly in the push to the next great thing and someone who pours millions of dollars into the government to maintain control over a nearly century-old piece of intellectual property.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    BTW, that's "buy", not "by" (or "bye" for that matter).
  • Reply 13 of 16
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    ReplayTV. I tried to look into buying one a long time ago. I never liked the fact that they wanted to charge me for some kind of subscription service. (I am not a fan of monthly subscriptions)

So I have a question about ReplayTV. (The idiots running the store couldn't help me) Instead of subscribing to and downloading a list of all the programming on TV, can you manually input recording times like a VCR and save the subscription cost? \

Also, is it easy to upgrade the hard drive? (I assume there is a 137GB limit)

THX
  • Reply 14 of 16
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    If Apple buys anything, it should be Eye TV. It's the coolest thing since sliced bread.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

I just got my new Replay 4504 (laugh all you want, I love it) and this morning I sat at the breakfast table watching last night's The Daily Show streamed to my Titanium from my Replay over airport. I can download shows, burn them to DVD, change my recording schedual, etc... In short, it rocks!

If apple bought Replay, integrated iTunes and iPhoto sharing (playing iTunes through your stereo and photos for your tv screensaver), simplified the interface on the computer, and marketed it with airport extreme they could have the most compelling argument for the Mac being the ultimate digital hub, controlling and disseminating all media in the household.

They might also win a lot of new converts to the mac from the existing, loyal replayTV user base.

I agree.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

The 'loyal replayTV userbase' is probably too small at the moment. But I can see Apple doing this kind of stuff in a few years.

No problem if Apple buys them.

Just look at .mac, mac-users' pay anything to get something with an Apple sticker on it!