UNIX drive formatting?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
what are the drawbacks to this? i'm about to start over from scratch, 10.2.4 is killing me, and i was wondering what benefits i'd see from doing this, and at what cost.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    I assume you're talking about reformating your drive to UFS? I wouldn't do it. Most applications in OS X will refuse to run on a UFS formated drive. It's mainly for people who are using Mac OS X as a Unix and don't need to run Mac applications.

Besides, there is nothing wrong with HFS+. It's a very good hierarchy filesystem.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Don't do it. There are no benefits.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Don't do it. There are no benefits.

When I ran a UFS partition it became <1% fragmented over one year, but I've also had no major problems with the additional fragmentation under HFS. Case-sensitivity could be an advantage I guess.

But yeah, UFS is going to kill your disk performance and cause certain apps to break, which far outweigh any advantages.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

But yeah, UFS is going to kill your disk performance and cause certain apps to break, which far outweigh any advantages.

Bingo.

The Adobe apps break. Some of Apple's own software even breaks on UFS. There's a kbase article somewhere that listed a number of the problems with UFS and why the general user should not use it.

UFS is very bad unless you are running a raw server with no 3rd party software.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    weird thing is though, i partitioned a huge drive to have one area that's UFS.

turns out i can copy ANYTHING to that sucker no problem. when i tried to copy my files over to the HFS stuff i kept getting -50 errors. no such problems with UFS.

oh well, keeps me happy this way, left my machine drive as HFS.

thanks for the info though.