Ok what are these crappy hieroglyphics???

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
everytime i press shift, command, option, control (and maybe some other keys as well). it makes a symbol in the upper right hand corner of the screen. and it wont disengage until i press it another one or two times. for example, the shift key will make an up arrow, and even though i am not still holding it down, the keys will act is if i were pressing shift (getting caps, etc). starting today, i suddenly noticed sound effects to accompany the hieroglyphics... sounds like pressing keys on an old typewriter. how do i make all of this stop??? it's been happening for about 2 months and it's annoying as hell. thanks for any help on this matter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    assuming your having this problem in OSX, check your Universal Access control panel and look at the keyboard tab. See if stickie keys is on, if so turn it off, and if slow keys is on turn it off as well. Someone might have been messing with you and turned them on.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mac's girlmac's girl Posts: 556member
    i checked and sticky keys was on! son of a gun... who the heck is messing with me like that? until now, i never even knew what that universal access thing was.

thanks for your help!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    You may have accidentally turned it on yourself. Go back to the Preference Pane for the Universal Access and make sure "Allow Universal Access Shortcuts" at the bottom is not checked. If it is you could accidentally turn these back on again by pressing option or shift five times. Shift turns on the thing you had, option turns on the option to use the numerical keypad on the right of your keyboard as the mouse cursor.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mac's girl

everytime i press shift, command, option, control (and maybe some other keys as well)

You just mashing the keyboard there?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Assuming you have Universal Access shorcuts on, five quick presses of the Shift key will turn on Sticky Keys (the thing you're seeing). Option five times turns on Mouse Keys (turning your numeric keypad into a system for controlling your mouse).