more dual 1.42 grief

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ive had non-stop trouble with my now 2 week old dual 1.42 machine. I often get unexpected quits with the likes of Explorer, but today the machine has taken a dislike to After Effects and continually quits unexpectedly on certain tasks like positioning an object in 3D, and now every time I quit, it 'unexpectedly quits' first! When runing AE in Classic, it disappears without a trace.

The AE 'about' box says 2147483647% of 0k is being used. So a RAM problem? Well I have 2gb installed on 4 chips, 1 original Apple, 1 from MacMall and 2 new from Crucial. I've taken each out and restarted on different chips and get the same problem each time. I can't believe I have 4 bad RAM chips.....

So what else could it be? I'm running After Effects 5.5 in OS 10.2.4 on a Dual 1.42mhz.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    No offense intended: check out the AE support discussions at Adobe.

There may be issues with the dual proc systems (unknown, but has happened before).

Do the usual maintenance:

Repair Disk Permissions

reboot into single user mode (hold down command-s at reboot), then run fsck -y (the instructions will appear on the screen before the prompt), the input; reboot -n to protect the fsck memory-stored changes during reboot.

If you have DiskWarrior, run it. Ditto Norton Utils (Don't install Norton Utils - eeevil they are - run from CD)

You have multiple hard drives? check the cables.

Are there specific events going on when the crash occurs? just before?