SAMBA freezing

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Anyone know if Apple is planning to do something about the HORRIBLE system stalling if you put your laptop to sleep with a samba share mounted and then wake it up on a completely different network where the share isn't accessible from. Sometimes it's even impossible to unmount the share at all and requires a reboot (sometimes the reboot even hangs and I'm forced to hard reboot from the power button). It's really horrible because the hanging affects even programs that don't need network access. They all take an extra minute or two just to start up (once they start up they are fine though....). And the fact that the 'umount' command just tells me that the remote share doesn't exist (This pisses me off ... if it doesn't exist, then GET RID OF THE MOUNT). It does something like

>> umount /Volumes/music/

ERROR: '/[email protected]/MUSIC/' doesn't exist.

or

>> umount /Volumes/music/

ERROR: Timed out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Just had the same problem. I had the hard drive of my PC shared while I copy stuff over to the mac. Then I shutdown the PC and disconnected all sorts and tyting cables, general under the desk stuff.

When I came back to the mac I kept getting the spinning colour disc. There must be some sort of auto disconnect after the first attempt of finding a network share fails... why try another 8 million times !

Come on all you clever people, find an answer

(note to mod: might wanna move this to genius bar)
  • Reply 2 of 4
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    I wasn't really looking for an answer so much as wondering if anyone thinks that Apple will tackle this. One connection that is timing-out shouldn't affect all the other programs to drastically. This is one of the largest bugs that I've found with OS X. Well, SAMBA in general. Every once in a while, I'll get a kernel panic when I'm trying to mount a SAMBA share. (This usually happens when it's taking forever to connect to the computer so I cancel it and do something else, then 2 or 3 minutes later the kernel panics.) At the very least, there should be some way to force OS X to unmount the share and stop attempting to connect.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    bump
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Samba has caused kernel panics on my machine occasionally, although I don't think it's happened since 10.2.1.

If you need to work with PC shared volumes, I suggest you get DAVE (Thursby Software). It works 100 times better than Jaguar's built-in support for SMB.

BTW, the network hanging bug happens with AFP too, and the Finder seems pretty damn flaky when copying huge files from an AFP volume. More proof that Mac OS X is still an immature system (although it gets better with every update).