Cant open .txt files from Excel OS X Server:

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just realized that I can't open ANY .txt files that reside on ANY of my OS X 10.2.4 Servers with Excel!

Here's the scoop:

I mount an OS X Server AFP volume. I open a .txt file in Word. No problem. I open a .txt file in BBEdit. No problem. I try and open a .txt file in Excel. No go! Excel's error says "The Server is not responding, or the file is read-only...".I check all the server dir and file permissions - they look perfect. No problems.

The server(s) in question (as stated above) are OS X 10.2.4 but the clients with Excel rage from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X 10.2. I have used Excel 98, Excel 2001 and Excel v.X. ALL of them get the same error! I have connected to an SMB share on the OS X 10.2.4 server and I can open .txt files in Excel just fine. The same files open fine on with Excel on my OS X 10.1.4 Server.It MUST be an AFP problem in OS X Server 10.2.4

I can open all other file types with no problems. It just .txt files with Excel over AFP that is the problem...

Have you seen this? Try it!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Proposed Workaround: Copy them to your local HD, edit them, copy them back. It's worth a try.