Adding non-applications to the dock

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In my Mac So 8.6 Apple menu I have an alias to local hard disks, making things easy to access. How do I do the same thing with The Dock?

(NB: dragging and dropping aliases doesn't work).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    drag the alias to the right hand side of the vertical bar (by the trash). it will go in there.

or just drag the local disk itself into the dock (on that side). its a virtual alias anyway...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    What i would like to do is put /volumes in the dock. yes, you can drag i there, but it dosen update when disks are added or removed
  • Reply 3 of 6
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Hello

What is the point of adding volume alias to the dock?

Just click Finder icon, it opens new window for you, and you can browse all curently mounted volumes.

8)

...unless it's a network drive, then yes, it saves you from cmd+K, etc...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    There are a few third party apps that try this, none too successfully. I also sometimes wish I could have a CD archive mount in the Dock for easy browsing/opening.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Dragging the alias to the right work nicely. The advantage is that the files/folders are in menus, rather than windows, which I find saves time.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    the problem with dragging the alias is that when you add a disk such as my ipod, my idisk, or a cd, those dont pop up by themself in the /volumes alias in the dock. i find it odd that it dosnet, honestly. and the reason i do it is because navigating via pop up menus is quicker for me than using windows. the only thing that pisses me off about using menus to navigate is that you can only go 5 levels deep. does anyone know why this is?