Subaru is supplying wireless Apple CarPlay on the 2023 Outback

Posted:
in General Discussion
Subaru has announced that it will begin supporting wireless CarPlay and Android Auto on its 2023 Outback models, years after bringing support for Apple's auto platform to its cars.

Credit: Subaru
Credit: Subaru

The Japanese carmaker has offered wired-only CarPlay support on some of its vehicles since 2018, giving Apple users an easy way to interface with their iPhones in their cars. That will change starting in 2023.

Outback models equipped with Subaru's Starlink infotainment system will support both wireless CarPlay and Android auto integration. Subaru says the support will make it "even easier to view and control your navigation, music, podcasts, and other content and apps without needing to plug in your smartphone."

It isn't clear, however, what specific trim levels will feature a Starlink infotainment system.

Although CarPlay is a handy feature for iPhone users, most automakers only offer wired integration with the platform. While third-party workarounds exist, they require purchasing additional dongles or new audio systems.

In addition to the CarPlay and Android Auto support, the 2023 Subaru Outback will also feature an 11.6-inch touchscreen with "What Three Words" geolocation technology, as well as a "valet mode."

Although pricing has yet to be confirmed, the 2023 Outback will continue to be a 2.5L vehicle with up to 33 miles-per-gallon while on the highway. Current Subaru Outback models start at around $28,000.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I’ve often wondered why auto makers are so far behind the curve when it comes to navigation and entertainment systems. Most navigation systems are deficient when compared to any smartphone map app. They charge big bucks for the updates. Ford wanted $150 for the navigation update to my 2016 F-150 but Apple Maps is constantly updated for free when using CarPlay. No, I didn’t plunk down $150 to update my F-150. As for the entertainment systems, who uses a goddamned audio CD anymore when Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, etc. are available.

Now, years after CarPlay and Android Auto were announced, some auto makers are just now starting to support wireless versions. My son-in-law’s BMW  X5 has wireless CarPlay but BMW initially wanted to charge $50 a year to activate it? Thankfully they changed their policy in short order.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    lkrupp said:
    I’ve often wondered why auto makers are so far behind the curve when it comes to navigation and entertainment systems. Most navigation systems are deficient when compared to any smartphone map app. They charge big bucks for the updates. Ford wanted $150 for the navigation update to my 2016 F-150 but Apple Maps is constantly updated for free when using CarPlay. No, I didn’t plunk down $150 to update my F-150. As for the entertainment systems, who uses a goddamned audio CD anymore when Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, etc. are available.

Now, years after CarPlay and Android Auto were announced, some auto makers are just now starting to support wireless versions. My son-in-law’s BMW  X5 has wireless CarPlay but BMW initially wanted to charge $50 a year to activate it? Thankfully they changed their policy in short order.
    Car manufacturers work on a completely different time scale than do tech companies like Apple, of course.

Our 2020 Audi Q3 has wireless CarPlay, and I love it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Carplay2air.com is the absolutely best solution for Apple wireless Carplay. Can be utilized in multiple cars with multiple users without having to pay the auto manufacturers infotainment system tax. It is updated by Carplay2air.com manufacturer when warranted. About USD $100.00.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    lkrupp said:
    No, I didn’t plunk down $150 to update my F-150.
    I’m still using the maps from 2001年 in my 2002年 Prius. They work fine most of the time, and for the times they don’t I pull out my iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    tokyojimu said:
    lkrupp said:
    No, I didn’t plunk down $150 to update my F-150.
    I’m still using the maps from 2001年 in my 2002年 Prius. They work fine most of the time, and for the times they don’t I pull out my iPhone.
    I live close to St. Louis, MO. A new bridge over the Mississippi river was built about 5 years ago. When I’m driving over that bridge in my F-150 it shows me floating over the Mississippi in thin air because it doesn’t know the bridge exists. Mildly funny.
    FileMakerFellerstompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    musomuso Posts: 30member
    Interesting - I'm not sure why wireless carplay is such a big deal since I usually plug my phone in to charge in the car anyway.  But there it is.  I doubt I'll be able to "switch it on" in my 2022 Outback but it would be worth trying if I can, I guess.

More interesting is the addition of USB-C ports.  But I have at least 8 years before I worry about buying another car lol.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Meh.  Obsolete gas-powered junk car.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    lkrupp said:

Tesla charges car owners $12,000 for upgrading to FSD. And I don't think this fee includes any hardware change. 
    BTW, iPhone can be wirelessly charged only since iPhone 11?