Dock separators

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Where does everyone get those snazzy separators for the apps in the dock?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    The ones I use (or, used to) are home grown. 100 % organic, free range, grain fed dock separators.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    How do you make these 'home grown' separators, then?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    You take an app, make a "line" divider graphic, paste it on the icon, drop it on the Dock.

That's all it is.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I made applescript applications with an icon of a vertical line. Just incase I clicked the divider, the only thing the app did was quit itself.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    And if you want multiple separators, you simply open the dock.plist (in something like text edit) and duplicate the xml tags that point to the separator app. Restart the Dock And there you go! Tons ?O separator fun!

It would also be desirable to name the separator something like ? .app? i.e. space dot app. That way the name doesn?t show up in the dock when you scroll over it.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

I made applescript applications with an icon of a vertical line. Just incase I clicked the divider, the only thing the app did was quit itself.

What I did was duplicate simpletext, (the one that comes with the DevTools) Delete everything in /contents/Resources/ & /contents/MacOS/

and then move the separator icon file (renamed to simpletext.icns) to /contents/Resources/.

That way, it doesn't do anything if you accidentally click on it.

It's quick, dirty, and only 56 kB.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Hmmm.... I was thinking that there were more elegant solutions. If this is the only way, then you could also use 'dock extender' to add menus to the dock and give those menus a separator icon. Only thing is that I don't feel like taking the time to learn to make OSX icons. :P
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

Hmmm.... I was thinking that there were more elegant solutions. If this is the only way, then you could also use 'dock extender' to add menus to the dock and give those menus a separator icon. Only thing is that I don't feel like taking the time to learn to make OSX icons. :P

10.3!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    mac gurumac guru Posts: 367member
    Quote:

What I did was duplicate simpletext, (the one that comes with the DevTools) Delete everything in /contents/Resources/ & /contents/MacOS/

and then move the separator icon file (renamed to simpletext.icns) to /contents/Resources/.

That way, it doesn't do anything if you accidentally click on it.

It's quick, dirty, and only 56 kB.

Ummmmm how about this, take a folder, put nothing in it, name it [whatever].app slap your divider icon on it and store it somewhere out of sight.

Quick, dirty, and only ZERO Kb.

Mac Guru
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Guru

Ummmmm how about this, take a folder, put nothing in it, name it [whatever].app slap your divider icon on it and store it somewhere out of sight.

Quick, dirty, and only ZERO Kb.

Mac Guru

Heh. That works too.

I tried that at first but I thought it didn?t work . Because the app section of the dock didn?t respond to it. I dragged it over and thought: ?hey this isn?t working, I?m off to find a more complicated way to do it!? But I never dropped it in! You drop it in the right section (or in my case the bottom) Then it?s treated like an app.

Oi!
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Somebody needs to write some REAL directions. I'm ***ing pissed since I've been trying to make this *(**(**ing things work for HOURS!!!!!~!

I past my custom made icons over a folder, rename it whatever.app and then drop it in the right side by the trash. It moves it to the left. Problem is no matter what size I make them they take up a full dock space. How the *(&*()*U do you make them so narrow. Also, when magnified (when my mouse rolls over them they pop up and show that they are funky sized.

Add to that I can find NO website with ready to go seperators to download. Why???? In any case, this is me, very pissed trying to get somebody to help me. If you have premade icons and have semi simple directions on how to get three or four working seperators in the dock please post a link to dl them and directions. Thanks
  • Reply 12 of 17
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Can you download them from somewhere. I know they are easy to make for some, but they seem to be the hardest thing to get your hands on. I have had better luck getting my hands on like early unrelased builds of software!
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

I past my custom made icons over a folder, rename it whatever.app and then drop it in the right side by the trash. It moves it to the left. Problem is no matter what size I make them they take up a full dock space. How the *(&*()*U do you make them so narrow. Also, when magnified (when my mouse rolls over them they pop up and show that they are funky sized.

Remember that these are NOT real separators. They will behave exactly like the app icons behave in the Dock. They will take up a full space like other app icons do. They will magnify just like other app icons do.

It's not a perfect solution by any means, but it's satisfactory for the people that need something to visibly break up their organization of icons.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    www.paulcourt.co.uk/DockSep.dmg

Just a copy of terminal with a single bar icon. Download if you are having problems making your own.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    russsrusss Posts: 115member
    Get some others here.

They are much smaller files than Gargoyles.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

www.paulcourt.co.uk/DockSep.dmg

Just a copy of terminal with a single bar icon. Download if you are having problems making your own.

Thanks!
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by RussS

Get some others here.

They are much smaller files than Gargoyles.

Oh and thanks to you too!