Wag the dog...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
According to Iraqi Information Minister Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, however, called reports of coalition forces on the outskirts of Baghdad "an illusion."

"They're not even [within] 100 miles," he said. "They are not in any place. They hold no place in Iraq. This is an illusion. ... They are trying to sell to the others an illusion." (CNN article)

Hmm... what if he's right? Imagine if there was no war and this was all a ploy to distract the public from whatever the government is trying to hide, ala Wag The Dog?

I mean, what else could this guy be talking about??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    Holy crap. I just read another thread where FormerLurker also made reference to 'Wag the Dog'. I don't mean to come off like I copied you, hehe, I was just wondering what's this dude's problem.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Yeah, what if he's right!?!?

• Reply 3 of 25
    Think about it! America has a media stranglehold here, so what if this is all fake and that Minister representing Iraq is wondering what the hell we're all talking about?

• Reply 4 of 25
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Just like the moon landing!
  • Reply 5 of 25
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Then how would the Iraqi foreign minister get through the media stranglehold!?

Whoah. I know kung-fu!

*head explodes*

• Reply 6 of 25
    It's really no secret that the US military feeds the media outlets false information. This happened rather often during the Gulf War. But really, and I hate to sound like Ari Fleischer here, but are you really going to believe everything the Iraqi Information Minister has to say?

This thread is about to go from zero to stupid in about four more posts...
  • Reply 7 of 25
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Yeah, and those american POW's are fabricated as well? Especially the female they just rescued with 2 broken legs and other injuries. All fabricated...
  • Reply 8 of 25
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    The 'Basra Uprising' was fabricated.

Not that there aren't firefights at the airport right now.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I swear, some of you will believe just whatever. Anything, as long as it isn't favorable of Bush, our troops, our successes, etc. You'll take the word of the Iraqi Information Minister, who I'm sure is completely above lying. I mean, Iraq would never lie about anything, would they? Weapons, locations, how they've treated their own citizens, etc.

I mean, look how well they worked with the weapons inspectors. Use your heads for something other than to hang a hat on, people.

Wag this...
  • Reply 10 of 25
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I swear, some of you will believe just whatever. Anything, as long as it isn't favorable of Bush, our troops, our successes, etc. You'll take the word of the Iraqi Information Minister, who I'm sure is completely above lying. I mean, Iraq would never lie about anything, would they? Weapons, locations, how they've treated their own citizens, etc.

I mean, look how well they worked with the weapons inspectors. Use your heads for something other than to hang a hat on, people.

Wag this...

No one is claiming the Iraqi fellow is correct. Gambit was just proposing a what-if situation...the notion is not so far fetched as to be impossible. Again, it was simply a "what-if." I believe it is crucial that we as Americans be critical and propose these kinds of questions, mostly just for spurring thought
  • Reply 11 of 25
    I trust Ari Fleischer and Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf about equally these days. The hypocrisy and lies from all parties involved - combined with the almost childish manner in which accusations are thrown back and forth ("You violated the Geneva Convention!" "No, you violated the Geneva Convention!") - have left me without any faith in any administrations ability to tell the truth. All parties have made statements that were later proven false. All parties are attempting to use ?emotive propaganda? (be it injured Iraqi children or rescued US soldiers) to garner support. And all parties are telling big fat porky pies.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

The 'Basra Uprising' was fabricated.

Not that there aren't firefights at the airport right now.

If I remember that came from the UK troops. Also it is known that the Iraqi death squads were firing on civilians. But that's what in fact was reported.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Wow. Some of you are truly humorless bastards, eh? You realize you're posting your political beliefs on a message forum pretty much soley dedicated to the discussion of Apple rumors, right? I mean, opinions are opinions, but relax!

I just thought it'd be a pretty funny notion if the Iraqi Information Minister was the only one telling the truth, like the world believed there was a war going on and he was representing his country by coming out and asking us 'what war????', all frustrated. Maybe my sense of humor is a bit strange, oh well.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    OK, how did they get Al Jazeera to play along then?
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

OK, how did they get Al Jazeera to play along then?

*cough* Why'd you say that for? I was trying to prove a point.

• Reply 16 of 25
    Easy there! I'm going along with your "what if". I was just polling for a really clever answer as to how Al Jazeera's coverage would fit in. They are part of the media "theater of operations", no?
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Easy there! I'm going along with your "what if". I was just polling for a really clever answer as to how Al Jazeera's coverage would fit in. They are part of the media "theater of operations", no?

Well, who's to know that is REALLY Al Jazeera? Just because it's on TV doesn't necessarily make it truth! Remember, there ARE all kinds of ethnic actors out there!
  • Reply 18 of 25
    OK, interesting...

Coincidentally, I was going to suggest people keep an eye out for evidence of recycled actor talent in the frequent news briefs from the field. If you happen to catch a quick flash of Joe Millionaire in army gear (on a Fox News exclusive, no doubt), you know the jig is up! Lauri Dhue, I am convinced, is a pure CG rendered entity- the first of its kind in real professional use... She looks...too perfect to be human...too perfect...

I guess the entire world media industry would have to be "in on it" in order to give a remotely consistent coverage to suggest an occupation is indeed in Iraq. There would be the underground conspiracy rags, though, that would be revealing the "actual truth" that this is completely a staged event.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I swear, some of you will believe just whatever.

Are you saying that the 'Basra uprising' wasn't faked?
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Hmmm... with all the contridictory reports out there now, I'm starting to wonder who's getting wagged now. \