here

$779 for this:

700MHz PowerPC G4

128MB SDRAM

40GB Ultra ATA drive

CD-RW drive

No Modem

Configured for education only

bye bye classic iMac for edu also soon??

g

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Whoa, I wouldn't mind one of those...
  • Reply 2 of 14
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/We...3.1.1.0?100,48

these are the education prices for the G3 imac on the education store for teachers. The school price is even cheaper

$749

600MHz PowerPC G3

128MB SDRAM

40GB Ultra ATA drive

CD-ROM Drive

10/100BASE-T Ethernet

56K internal modem

$796.00

600MHz PowerPC G3

256MB SDRAM

40GB Ultra ATA drive

CD-ROM Drive

10/100BASE-T Ethernet

56K internal modem

$891

600MHz PowerPC G3

512MB SDRAM

40GB Ultra ATA drive

CD-ROM Drive

10/100BASE-T Ethernet

56K internal modem
  • Reply 3 of 14
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    I think for $30 more I'd take the eMac
  • Reply 4 of 14
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Heck, the base model is only $699 and the CD-R/W model is $749. Not a bad deal. The iMac CRT is $649. I bet in bulk the emac would be $649 or even $599.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    That's good... the SuperDrive eMac is now US$1149.... Apple... let's make it $999 for it.

$30 differences for the low-end iMac and eMac... I assumed both machines will boot to OS 9, so the eMac should be a better choice. I hope to see more school to switch to the Mac platform even though they are buying the eMac.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    now if they could make the eMac fanless like the classic iMac (or at lest a small, quiet fan like the iMac FP) then i would see the eMac being a hit with newbies and education...apple, work on that enclosure.....g

g (who is suddenly wanting a cube...something must be wrong with me)...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Could be clearing out inventory perhaps?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    agent69agent69 Posts: 88member
    I've taken advantage of this, thanks to a friend who is in college. So I am now awaiting my $779 eMac.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    mwa ha ha.

$762 at my school. :P
  • Reply 10 of 14
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    keep in mind that the classic iMac is sold to most schools for 499 and less
  • Reply 11 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Where/when do they check your education pricing elegibility? I can get all the way through the purchasing process at the Apple Store and it doesn't ask for anything. Don't tell me it's the honor system - people like me who have no honor will be ordering soon.

Hmm... just realized that the US store makes you enter a school, etc. The Canadian store just makes you click "I Accept" to a page of "you have to be in school, blah, blah" text.

Hmmmmm.....
  • Reply 12 of 14
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i've never had them ask or check...the edu discount is for k to 12 schools also...your kid is pretty advanced...use the local elementry school at the apple edu store....g
  • Reply 13 of 14
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Our school has a ton of eMacs, and they just got three more at this new price. Pretty nifty, I'll bet that once the CRT iMac is eliminated(this sounds harsh. . . ) the price on the eMac will drop drasticly.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xionja

Our school has a ton of eMacs, and they just got three more at this new price. Pretty nifty, I'll bet that once the CRT iMac is eliminated(this sounds harsh. . . ) the price on the eMac will drop drasticly.

Conversely, once Apple can drop the price of the eMac down drastically, the CRT iMac will vanish. This is a good first step.

Of course, Apple can keep the CRT iMac around as an increasingly cheap machine for schools who really don't want to spend more than a few hundred per seat.