Carbon Copy Cloner Question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
if i make a disk image with carbon copy cloner onto a FW drive of a 5GB partition which is part of a 40GB HD (still following?) and then reformat the 40GB to be one partition, can i clone the 5gb drive onto the 40GB drive while keeping it at one partition?

please tell me somone understoodthis?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

if i make a disk image with carbon copy cloner onto a FW drive of a 5GB partition which is part of a 40GB HD (still following?) and then reformat the 40GB to be one partition, can i clone the 5gb drive onto the 40GB drive while keeping it at one partition?

please tell me somone understoodthis?

yes you can. if this 40 gb drive is your internal bootable/system drive then you will want to clone it to your firewire drive, then restart and boot from your firewire drive. After that you can reformat your 40gb and then clone ypur firewire drive to it.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

yes you can. if this 40 gb drive is your internal bootable/system drive then you will want to clone it to your firewire drive, then restart and boot from your firewire drive. After that you can reformat your 40gb and then clone ypur firewire drive to it.

right that is what i did...minus the boot from the FW drive cuz OS X can't boot from FW drives still (to my knowledge havn't tried it) so i put in a 2.4GB drive and ran off of thta during teh move...man it was only a 5GB HD i was backing up and it took a long time to go from 5gb to disk image on fw then to the 40GB HD after i reformatted
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

right that is what i did...minus the boot from the FW drive cuz OS X can't boot from FW drives still (to my knowledge havn't tried it) so i put in a 2.4GB drive and ran off of thta during teh move...man it was only a 5GB HD i was backing up and it took a long time to go from 5gb to disk image on fw then to the 40GB HD after i reformatted

I have been booting from FW (1394) drives for a LONG time. Never had a problem.

I have a TiBook. The internal drive has OS 9 only for work (yuck). I bring it home and boot from an 80 GB external FireWire drive into OS X. Love it. Keeps my work stuff at work, and my prOn, er, I mean, my home stuff at home.