CDs and Disc Images not loading in OS X

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a huge problem with Mac OS X.2

For some reason, the OS doesn't recognize any CDs when I put them in my SuperDrive. They just stay in and I can't even eject them! I have to open iTunes, click on the eject button, and enter my administrator password to eject the CD!

Also, I can't mount Disc Images, whether I'm using Disc Utility or Toast.

I think it's a problem with OS X because CDs actually load in OS 9. When I try to reinstall OS X, I get to the step where I have to pick which drive to install it on, but no drives appear, so I can't pick any!

Somebody please help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Odd. Could be a master/slave issue? Open up your machine and make sure your IDE cables are plugged in and your jumpers are set correctly.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I've had a similar problem. I'm using a 800MHz dual quicksilver and since I installed Jaguar, blank CD's don't appear on the desktop but formatted CD's do.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    how do i know if my jumpers are set up correctly?

i haven't changed the hardware on my computer except for ram
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by PotatoJudge

how do i know if my jumpers are set up correctly?

i haven't changed the hardware on my computer except for ram

Well, most drives have little diagrams on the back which show the settings for master and slave. Make sure you're hard drive is master and your CD is slave if they share the same IDE cable.

If you haven't changed your hardware, I guess it's a software issue. Is your SuperDrive from Apple or after market?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    ok i just found out that i don't have this problem if i log in as the root user, so i'm guessing the problem lies in my user preferences file or something like that.

anybody know how to reset that?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    repair permissions.... this should be the #1 troubleshooting step for every software issue...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    what do u mean by repair permissions?

how do i do that?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by PotatoJudge

what do u mean by repair permissions?

how do i do that?

Open "Disk Utility." Select your boot volume (Should be the name of your hard drive). Click the "First Aid" tab, and click the button that says "Repair Disk Permissions."
  • Reply 9 of 10
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    2nd step: download Cocktail . The general purpose system utility.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Alright! Thanks a lot Kecksy, you saved my @$$

For anybody else with this problem, just run Repair Disk Permissions in Disc Utility