LoopRumors Latest On Pather

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Quote:

We have just learned some very exciting news regarding the forthcoming Macintosh Operating System from Apple, codenamed 'Panther.' Those close to the project tell us that Panther will be "unlike anything else out there," and will "end all comparisons" between Microsoft Windows and the Mac. The new operating system will have Amazon's one-click technology built right in, so shopping becomes part of the OS. We also learned that everything will be as simple as the current iPhoto strategy, where you plug in any of today's popular digital camera and "it just works." As in years past, Apple is working hard on making the new OS work for the user rather than the user doing the work. As LoopRumors reported on March 18th, the project is on schedule for this Fall.

Well, I for one cannot wait...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Well, I for one cannot wait...

Wait? One click shopping is now into the OS? DAMIT! DAMIT! DAMIT-DAMIT! I don't believe it.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Wow..still nothing substantial to report.

Apples got Panther well hidden from those infernel "leakers"

I'm going to make a Bold Prediction.

Panther will be the first OSX version to institute Serial Numbers. Sorry fellas. Apple is not going to let this and future OS versions to be bootlegged.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    is dev or commerical versions...

what his face phil marketing guy mentioned more than once they would not be going that way but that was last year...
  • Reply 4 of 16
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

Wait? One click shopping is now into the OS? DAMIT! DAMIT! DAMIT-DAMIT! I don't believe it.

Welcome to .Mac, v2.

The biggest pisser for me is that every OS sold is a royalty payment to Spamazon for their infernal patent.

Other than that, it'll be interesting to see how Apple does this. iPhoto's integration is pretty innocuous, so I'm not expecting XP-style in-your-face promotions.

It sounds like Apple decided to be on their best behavior: If they're going to adopt a metadata system, they're not just going to stick it in the OS and forget about it, like the bad old days of System 7.5.x. They're going to think through the consequences to various interfaces and applications, and follow through, so that the system really uses the abilities of the underlying subsystems rather than merely featuring them.

Apple did a lot of work in this direction that never saw the light of day. Maybe we'll see it soon, OS X powered, VFS abstracted and presented in its full glory by Quartz.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    The didn't say anything new. that's was mostly idiotic babling. "it will be good. better than windows xp" sigh. those idiots.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    I guess I should have put a because I was being sarcastic in my statement. Although it will be interesting to see what Apple pull's out of 1 Infinity Loop this year. Only 79 days to go...but who's counting right?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    It's theads like these that take the edge off the wait. That and the occasional Preparation H prescription to the whole AI community from Torifile.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    One-Click...for what? iPhoto has it for prints, iTunes will have it for music, the font panel might have it for fonts...but what else?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Hopefully they will start supporting my samsung dv cam in 10.3 like they did in os 9.

I'm really pissed- I made sure that it worked with my computer when I got it. Worked like a charm in OS 9, but now X doesn't even see that its there.

Stupid that I have to boot into 9 just to capture video.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

One-Click...for what? iPhoto has it for prints, iTunes will have it for music, the font panel might have it for fonts...but what else?

Oh, they're just making a one-click framework? That's cool. I thought they were going to do something crazy like one-click to the finder.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

How about one-click downloadable brand-name software purchases?

Conceivably, you could get a limited demo version free, then use one-click to register a full license and download a PDF manual. Software Update might even be updated to recognize these applications and keep you current on bug fixes, etc.

Further: Currently, Sherlock lets you search various online shopping sites. What if it added something like a .Mac or Keychain wallet, allowing you to easily purchase just about anything from just about any major online vendor with one click?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    You know, along those lines, Apple did set up a way for Mac software vendors to sell electronic copies of their software in kiosks in, um, CompUSA? I think?

It's just about one step from there to being able to sell them at apple.com, and to make it easy to browse, try out demoware, and buy from within OS X.

On the one hand, I can't say that I'm eager to have OS X commercialized. On the other hand, if it does happen it will be a huge boon to Mac software vendors, especially the little guys who can't get the distributors to look at them, and/or who can't pay for retail shelf space. It'll make the Mac look that much more attractive as a target platform.

The devil is in the details, as always, but Apple has a pretty decent track record for sweating the details.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah right just like XP's copy protection? The only thing it would do is piss off normal people. Pirates aren't stopped by this, it just annoys regular users. However I'm all for a serial that's fine. XP style activation is just retarded, and just as crackable.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Yeah right just like XP's copy protection?

No, although there might be some form of copy protection, along the lines of locks on doors — to keep honest people honest. Steve seems to be pragmatic about this issue: Look at the iPod, and the 5-pack family license for OS X.

This is about easily browsing and purchasing available applications, fonts, music, what-have-you, not about Microsoftian attempts to enforce licenses.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Somebody with more skills then I really needs to get cracking on a big black furry X. (none of this pink BS)

Thanks!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Some of us did mockups last year...couldn't find the thread though.

I'll go start it up in General Discussion again....