iTunes...how do you do it?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
i think one of the biggest short comings of OS X...and iTunes is that sharing is not very easy to do with everyone

when u import cd's or download songs, how do you have it set up, if u have multiple people that use the same computer (diff accounts) then how do you share things?

iTunes by default wants you to hide the songs in your home folder away from other users, i guess its understandable they did this but it is kinda a pain to share the same thigns (well not THAT bad having to go through and change the music folder directory is only slightly annoying)

when somone imports a CD though (i have a Mp3z folder on my HD for everyone to share)...but then only the person who imported it has that in their library, i would like itunes to refresh the songs that are there so it tells u which ones aren't and which new ones are (not like adding them again just checkign in the background)

acquisition is nice in that downloaded songs are added to itunes, but if itunes automatically found songs in the library it would also add unfinished songs maybe

so it would be nice if iTunes automatically searched the music folder and aquisition should have a place for temp songs and a place for finished (or that iTunes only added things ending in .mp3 and acquisition didn't add .mp3 until it was done)

</rant> haha

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I agree. It should be way easier for users on the same computer to share songs. Even if you have your preferences to save the library in the 'shared' folder, everyone else would have to make the changes manually, as well. Maybe the iTunes setup should initially ask if you want a computer-wide library, a user-only library or a combination and then set it up the defaults that way.

When you import, you could change the settings if you wanted, but it could default to your original choice. The problem is that OS X is an inherently multi-user system trying to make the transition to being used in the way most people use their computers. It'll get worked out eventually.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    yep thanks for the reply tortifile...haha u stated what i was thinking...only in a legible way
  • Reply 3 of 12
    They demo`d an itunes version where when a computer on the same rendezvous network would auto sync playlist with another computer on the same rendezvous network. I dunno when it will be release though :\
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

They demo`d an itunes version where when a computer on the same rendezvous network would auto sync playlist with another computer on the same rendezvous network. I dunno when it will be release though :\

definatly would be cool but doesn't solve my problem
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Oops sorry ast3r3x I dunno why but I only read the first line of your post and I instantly thought of the iTunes demo they showed. My bad.

Submit this idea to Apple in the feedback. Until then I`m sure some one could write a simple Applescript to do what your talking about. Set iTunes to use a folder thats avalible to all users, IE NOT your music folder. Then when itunes starts make sure it checks for new tunes and put them in a new playlist. I`ll look at the iTunes dictionary for Applescript and see what I can do, then get back to you.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Just drop an alias of your iTunes folder into your Home/Public folder. Then, anyone on other accounts has access to your music.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Just drop an alias of your iTunes folder into your Home/Public folder. Then, anyone on other accounts has access to your music.

yes but it doesnt solve the problem of auto updating

thats a godo idea i already do that but with a folder just on the main HD, that way its easier to get to
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I think what you're asking for is to update the "com.apple.iTunes.plist" file in your home/Library/Preferences folder. Maybe there's a way of tricking iTunes into using only one by using alias and stuff, but there's always that permission thing.

Or after somebody adds to the playlist, they share their *.plist.

Or set up a CVS project where each user must check out the plist before playing iTunes, and then check it back in with every use. Yeah-- that's the ticket.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I have the iTunes Music folder in a Shared folder within the Users folder. All users have access to the tunes.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Cant you just move the home/music/iTunes folder to a public place then run the "ln" command to make a symbolic link back to the original place.

Then for each user run iTunes once, to setup their own home/music/iTunes folder. Quit iTunes, delete their folder and make another symbolic link to the shared iTunes folder?

PS. 'ln' is the linux link command, not sure if its the same on mac os x or if its what you guys are calling aliases.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Apple should definitely do this work for us. For example, a checkbox to "Share iTunes Library with other users" in Preferences.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frawgz

Apple should definitely do this work for us. For example, a checkbox to "Share iTunes Library with other users" in Preferences.

Exactly. All the other possiblities people suggest are great... for geeks like us, but for normal people... it should be easier.