How to replace your computer with an iPad

Posted:
in General Discussion
I’ve felt like the iPad is a great replacement for a laptop -
particularly for older people like my mother-in-law.  She doesn’t want or need the features of a laptop. The biggest problem is online banking. Here in Oz, if I log into online banking from a desktop I can Tx any amount of money, but from a phone/iPad I’m limited to about $20.  Doesn’t matter if it’s the web or the app. I’ve tried the safari ‘desktop mode’ and it doesn’t help/downy work. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,947member
    arthurba said:
    I’ve felt like the iPad is a great replacement for a laptop -
    particularly for older people like my mother-in-law.  She doesn’t want or need the features of a laptop. The biggest problem is online banking. Here in Oz, if I log into online banking from a desktop I can Tx any amount of money, but from a phone/iPad I’m limited to about $20.  Doesn’t matter if it’s the web or the app. I’ve tried the safari ‘desktop mode’ and it doesn’t help/downy work. 
    Have you contacted the bank to inquire? It seems like it might be a bug. 
  • Reply 2 of 4
    No it's not a bug. It's designed to operate that way. It even prompts you to increase the limit if you prefer.  I checked with the bank, and if you increase the limit they won't 'insure' you - because you've agreed to the risk. They do 'insure' you for a much higher amount ($20K from memory) if you use a laptop.  It effectively stops the iPad from being a laptop replacement.  I'm guessing wherever @MpIsP is from does not do this.  I *think* I've seen the same thing in the UK though. 
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,341member
    Which bank?
    had accounts with a few Australian banks and not had a problem 
  • Reply 4 of 4
    thttht Posts: 5,472member
    I basically bank exclusively from my iPad. No problems transferring thousands of dollars from multiple different banks with it.