Final Cut Pro 4 and Panther...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Okay, maybe it is just me and I am going blind but...could we be seeing fruit of what is to come from Panther?

Take a look at this screenshot from Final Cut Pro:

That is not Brushed Metal and obviously not Aqua. Final Cut Pro ships in June, same month as WWDC...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Looks like brushed-metal to me. Honestly, you can't tell just be looking at a screen-cap that is reduced in size by about 80%. It could be textureless, but so what... Shake, Final Cut and DVD Studio look nothing like typical Mac OS X apps...
  • Reply 2 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,431member
    I think this new look is going to be used for the Pro Apps. Except for Logic.

Perhaps Apple may give the choice to run an Aqua or Pro environment.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Looks like brushed-metal to me. Honestly, you can't tell just be looking at a screen-cap that is reduced in size by about 80%. It could be textureless, but so what... Shake, Final Cut and DVD Studio look nothing like typical Mac OS X apps...

No, here is a Brushed Metal window at say about 80%:

Do you see the difference?

Apple created a hacked version of Brushed Metal in iTunes and QuickTime, who's to say they are not creating another UI?

I think we will see themes in Panther....
  • Reply 4 of 12
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I think this new look is going to be used for the Pro Apps. Except for Logic.

Perhaps Apple may give the choice to run an Aqua or Pro environment.

Apple? Choice? HAHAHA
  • Reply 5 of 12
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Another comment is that Apple has had a non standard UI just for their pro application's but if you look at the new DVD Studio Pro, Final Cut Pro it is going towards the standard UI just a different theme. It has tool bars, real tabs (as opposed to thin custom made ones in older versions of FCP and DSP), standard pull down menus.

Do you see what I mean?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    currently FCP has a mostly plain grey GUI with only a few native-looking elements... this looks just like another dirty bastardization between the old interface and brushed metal. but i am confident that this is anything but a new interface standard. it´s rather some non-standard GUI mess.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    look at those quick tour movies, they have the apple menu detached from the top of to screen i tell yoU!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

they have the apple menu detached from the top of to screen

Err... Snatch Pro X can detach menus? Hmmm...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Anyone have a reduced screenshot of QT 6.1? That has a much less "brushed" appearance than other brushed apps, it might look closer to the Compressor app shown above. I took the Compressor app to be metal in another thread at MacNN. It does seem to compromise between the older FCP and Shake UIs which keep their gray color and adopt more (but not completely) Aqua-like tabs, title bars, etc.

It could be a new "metal" look in Panther. It could be just for these apps. We'll find out in a while I guess.

I said in that other thread that I think Apple isn't interested in arbitrary choices in appearances but rather interestedin making certain types of apps correlate to certain appearances; true themes. Obviously, we could let this degrade into another I hate metal/I love metal/I don't get Apple's HI guidlines for metal, but I think that's their intention in any case, even if it isn't being ade very well right now. I bet Adobe would like to have this type of appearance in their Mac apps.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Err... Snatch Pro X can detach menus? Hmmm...

I see no need to discuss prostitues on these boards... err.. unless you meat Snapz Pro?

• Reply 11 of 12
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Anyone have a reduced screenshot of QT 6.1? That has a much less "brushed" appearance than other brushed apps, it might look closer to the Compressor app shown above. I took the Compressor app to be metal in another thread at MacNN. It does seem to compromise between the older FCP and Shake UIs which keep their gray color and adopt more (but not completely) Aqua-like tabs, title bars, etc.

Compressor is just plain grey:

• Reply 12 of 12
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    aw, common. FCP has always had a special interface.

but only now with panther on the horizon, you complain about it.

:sheesh: