Microsoft rolling out Microsoft Teams optimized for Apple Silicon

Posted:
in Mac Software
Following beta testing, Microsoft has now announced that Microsoft Teams has been optimized for Apple Silicon, and the new update is rolling out to users.

Three months after it quietly entered private beta -- and more than two years since the first Apple Silicon apps arrived -- Microsoft Teams has gone native. The workplace tool, similar to Slack and Zoom, is now available in a version that takes advantage of the M1 and M2 processor.

Until now, Teams required Apple's Rosetta 2 emulator to work on Apple Silicon Macs. At some point, Apple will cease including that emulator and apps will have to be built to run directly on Apple Silicon, or they simply will not work at all.

"We heard from our customers who use Mac with Apple Silicon that they want Teams to be optimized for their devices," said the company in a blog post. "Microsoft is committed to innovation and committed to the Mac, so we're excited to bring this to our Mac users."

Microsoft says that it is now "rolling out a production grade Universal Binary version of Teams." All Mac users "will be automatically upgraded with their most recent update to Teams," thought this will take place "over the coming months."

The company has not announced Apple Silicon support for the similar Skype, acquired by Microsoft in 2011.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,868member
    JP234 said:
    These are the two best-managed companies in America, probably the world. Nadella has successfully transitioned MS from a software company to a leader in cloud-based business services. Cook has turned Apple from a niche hardware/design firm into a global behemoth that Jobs never would have achieved. Both have relegated the stalwarts of the tech industry such as IBM, who have failed to see emerging trends, and are late out of the gate, to the dust of history.

The synergies afforded by cooperation are obvious. And both have made legions of smart investors billions.
    Tim Cook has been a great CEO but isn’t Apple still coasting on what Steve Jobs (started) green lighted? Aside from the Apple Watch? 

I hope Teams works better than it does on Windows but that can’t happen, Apple (the Mac) is a sidelight for Microsoft, they are mainly on the Mac platform to keep competition from other developers small, the same also applies to Google, offer free software and effectively keep the new developers small. There is no synergy.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    danox said:
    JP234 said:
    These are the two best-managed companies in America, probably the world. Nadella has successfully transitioned MS from a software company to a leader in cloud-based business services. Cook has turned Apple from a niche hardware/design firm into a global behemoth that Jobs never would have achieved. Both have relegated the stalwarts of the tech industry such as IBM, who have failed to see emerging trends, and are late out of the gate, to the dust of history.

The synergies afforded by cooperation are obvious. And both have made legions of smart investors billions.
    Tim Cook has been a great CEO but isn’t Apple still coasting on what Steve Jobs (started) green lighted? Aside from the Apple Watch? 

I hope Teams works better than it does on Windows but that can’t happen, Apple (the Mac) is a sidelight for Microsoft, they are mainly on the Mac platform to keep competition from other developers small, the same also applies to Google, offer free software and effectively keep the new developers small. There is no synergy.
    Uhhhh bullshit....like this entire post is bullshit. You just can't give credit where credit is due can you? 

So Steve Jobs green lighted the migration to Apple Silicon across the entire line up? Steve green lighted Apple Watch? Steve Green lighted Mac Studio, the new displays, etc. Steve green lighted ATV+ with all of its content? Steve green lighted Apple Music and what it now provides? I'm sure I'm missing stuff. FFS dude...

And even with the stuff Steve green lit before his departure not just anyone can keep those products going as well as they are. We've seen this through past history of Apple where they can be going great and then a CEO change fucks the entire company up. Hell, it's happened to many other companies as well. 

I know this is really gonna trigger people but IMO, I think Tim is a better CEO than Steve was long term. I'd go as far as saying Tim is one of the best CEO's in the history of not only Apple, but business in general. 
    edited August 2022 stuartfbeowulfschmidtlordjohnwhorfinmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Teams is still not great on Windows. IMO, the M1-optimized beta is equivalent, if not superior, to the Windows experience. Microsoft made massive improvements in their Office 365 suite, with the online tools leading the way. Nevertheless, Teams is still a mediocre add-on.

My recommendation for a frustration-free Teams experience is to get an iPad. The iOS / iPadOS iteration is the most consistent version you will find.
    dewmepscooter63rundhvidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 82member
    JP234 said:

International Businesses Machines (IBM) has not failed at all, what ever you are smoking, I would like some...I would like to add that 'investors', will be gone, only time will tell.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 620member
    danox said:
    JP234 said:

Lol no. There has been a lot of user-friendly stuff that has been rolled out that would never have seen the light under Jobs or Ive for that matter. Teams for Apple Silicon definitely works better than Teams on windows. Been running the beta/dev builds for months now and it a huge difference.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    MrBunside said:
    Teams is still not great on Windows. IMO, the M1-optimized beta is equivalent, if not superior, to the Windows experience. Microsoft made massive improvements in their Office 365 suite, with the online tools leading the way. Nevertheless, Teams is still a mediocre add-on.

My recommendation for a frustration-free Teams experience is to get an iPad. The iOS / iPadOS iteration is the most consistent version you will find.
    I’m not sure there’s feature parity between the Windows and macOS versions. For example, I couldn’t find the mode to directly share a PowerPoint within Teams on the macOS version (without using the screen sharing method). Maybe I’m wrong and I’ve missed something…?
    watto_cobra