Mark Rothko

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I m a huge Mark Rothko fan. I really enjoy his simple, modern geometric shapes, and colors too. Ambiguity is cool in this day and age of complications and technicalities. I saw some of his stuff in Chicago and it blew my mind. I stared at it for a LONG time. Any Rothko fans in da house?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

I m a huge Mark Rothko fan. I really enjoy his simple, modern geometric shapes, and colors too. Ambiguity is cool in this day and age of complications and technicalities. I saw some of his stuff in Chicago and it blew my mind. I stared at it for a LONG time. Any Rothko fans in da house?

Yes. Amazing stuff. We have some framed prints in our house, my wife is a really really big fan. She paints and he's inspired a lot of her work.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Everything that I've seen of his, I find to be crap. Maybe I'm missing his better works, or maybe I just don't like him. . . Eh.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    The funny thing about his paintings in real life is that so many of them have changed their color drastically since the day he painted them . . . i mean like from Gray to Orange . . .it was something about the paint and base that he used. . . .

He's ok . . . you should check out the Rothko Chapel . . . I think its in Houston Texas

alot of Abstract Expressionism leaves me cold, Barnett Nuemann, Gotlieb, Hoffman . . .. *yawn* I think too much of their work is about reading into them a kind of enthusiasm and transcendant quality that we are actually just stirring up in ourselves in anticipation of their 'genius'

I much prefer the first generation Pop artists: Rauschenberg, Johns, Warhol etc

and even contemporary Abstraction painters like Per Kirkeby, Inke Essenhie(sp?) I find more exciting . . . It doesn't have the same aura of 'breakthrough genius' around it, but much of it is really good.

but Im a time based artist fan . . . . and maker too . .
  • Reply 5 of 6
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Rothko is great, one of my favorites.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Any Rothko fans in da house?

Yes me.

- T.I.