Oklahoma City's Apple Penn Square retail workers want to unionize

Posted:
in General Discussion
Staff at Oklahoma City's Apple Penn Square store have filed a petition with the National Labor Relations Board, with the hope of getting an official vote about joining a union.

Staff at many Apple Stores across the US -- and internationally -- have been working to join unions, and to have those unions then recognized by Apple. Previously Apple has resorted to union-busting, but it has also agreed to one for its Maryland store.

There are multiple different unions that can be applicable to retail staff working in technology outlets. Now according to Bloomberg, staff at Apple Penn Square want to join the Communications Workers of America (CWA) union, and have Apple formally recognize that.

Staff can join a union but there are certain steps that must be followed. First, they individually join a union, then when at least 30% of staff at a given location have done so, they petition the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).

CWA says that around 70% of Apple Penn Square staff have joined it. The NLRB can then hold an election at the store.

If the union wins a majority of votes in that election, then the employee is legally compelled to recognize the union. Recognizing it means negotiating with the union over collective bargaining, working conditions and so on.

"This is a really great time to bring back the labor movement," Michael Forsyth, Penn Square employee and one of the union movement organizers, told the publication.

"I do really love [Apple]," he continued. "There are changes that I do know need to happen, but I don't believe it's necessarily with our direct managers."

"I see this as a thing between the workers and Big Apple," said Forsyth.

Reportedly, Penn Square staff say they were inspired by the workers at Apple Cumberland in Atlanta, which has previously attempted to unionize.

Apple has not responded as yet, nor is it clear when the NLRB may move to hold an election.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    ALL retail workers should unionize.

Retail working conditions are abysmal, retail pay is worse.  And retail jobs CANNOT be outsourced.

Retail workers are being abused, and they need to take advantage of the only real tool they have to change that:  Unions.
    danox
  • Reply 2 of 7
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    It’s really strange, being a Brit the idea of joining a union is so old fashioned and unnecessary.

But chatting to a good friend who lives in Florida it’s crazy how different the labour laws are stateside and how people need unions for basic protections that we don’t even think about out here.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    darkvader said:

Retail working conditions are abysmal, retail pay is worse.  And retail jobs CANNOT be outsourced.

Retail workers are being abused, and they need to take advantage of the only real tool they have to change that:  Unions.
    We aren't talking about working at Kmart here lol...were talking about working at Apple Retail which has some of the best benefits and pay in retail. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't like where you work then go some place else. People have been doing this for years without unions. I've done it myself a couple of times. 
  • Reply 4 of 7
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,849member
    saarek said:
    It’s really strange, being a Brit the idea of joining a union is so old fashioned and unnecessary.

But chatting to a good friend who lives in Florida it’s crazy how different the labour laws are stateside and how people need unions for basic protections that we don’t even think about out here.
    When compared to Germany the crushing of the unions in the UK didn’t help at all, and when compared to Norway North Sea oil riches didn’t filter down the ladder either in the UK.
    edited September 2022
  • Reply 5 of 7
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,849member
    macxpress said:
    darkvader said:

We aren't talking about working at Kmart here lol...were talking about working at Apple Retail which has some of the best benefits and pay in retail. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't like where you work then go some place else. People have been doing this for years without unions. I've done it myself a couple of times. 
    Apple, Amazon, and Starbucks poor babies…….
  • Reply 6 of 7
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    An crashing economy with companies cutting workers is a great time to form a union?

are people really this stupid? The guy who forms the union gets all the power and perks while hanging the idiots who followed him out to dry 
    edited September 2022
  • Reply 7 of 7
    This is hilarious, my daughter worked at this store.  MALL RETAIL JOB, and she had health insurance, paid vacation, got the last 2 years of her college paid for and made more money than she did her first 3 years after getting her masters degree!  At a mall job!  These kids making 50k-60k plus with those benefits at a mall, come on.  I’m going to laugh my a$$ of when they get compared to other retail stores in the mall during contract negotiations and lose everything Xtra Apple does for them.  APPLE, GOOLE FACEBOOK looked so progressive in the beginning but they’re breeding entitled brats, God help us if we go to war and Jesus save us when we do.