Uninstalling Airport driver in OSX.2?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a Powerbook running 10.2, and an Orinoco Silver networking card. I've read online that Apple doesn't make a driver to support this card, but that a third-party has made a driver to support it.

I've installed the third-party driver, and have reason to believe that it's working (ie, I can get the computer online over my wireless network). The problem I'm having is if I try to run Kismet, it won't work. I heard somewhere that the problem could be a conflict between the Airport driver and the third-party one. Is there some way to remove or disable the Airport driver?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    If you are looking to hack wireless networks, I recommend a linux partition. All the associated software was written for linux, and the low level code will likely have an easier time setting your wireless card to the proper sniffer-mode.

That said, I'm not so sure Apple's wireless drivers are interfering w/ your software. The problem likely lies in the software's inability to put the card in the proper mode you are seeking. I red somewhere this doesn't work under OS X.

edit: I assume you have read this link:

http://www.swieskowski.net/code/wifi.php
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Well, I'm not sure how to fix your problem, but, if for some reason it is the AirPort driver and you want to disable it, do the following:

1) do a search in the Finder for "airport"

2) in the search results, locate the three files that end in ".kext" and the folder that ends in ".menu" (the .kext files I believe are the drivers and .menu folder should be the AirPort menu)

3) make note of the locations of those files and folder (you'll need that info if you ever have to put them back); I'd recommend putting it in a text document

4) create a new folder somewhere on your HD other than in one of the Library or System folders

5) move those 3 files and the 1 folder into the new folder you just created, and, if you put the path information into a text doument as recommended in step 3, save that document in the newly created folder as well

6) restart your computer

I can't gurantee that this will work, and I can't gurantee this won't cause problems in the future. I also don't know if you'll need to do all of this again should you install a new MacOS X point update, but I'm pretty sure that this will disable all of AirPort for now.

Hope this helps... =)