Comments

• Reply 61 of 62
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jdw said:
    crowley said:
    jdw said:
    jdw said:
    dewme said:
    I’m sure you know the shutter sound on Japanese versions of all brand smartphones has nothing to do with Apple at all. They are simply complying with the carriers demands in that country. 
    You should be aware you just contradicted yourself by saying that shutter sound compliance in Japan "has NOTHING to do with Apple at all" while in your very next sentence you state the truth that it DOES have to do with Apple "complying with the carriers"!  Regardless of the reason for it, making certain iPhone functionality permanent for a given market VERY MUCH has something "to do with Apple."  Some people try to rationalize such capitulation, while folks like myself who have lived in Japan continuously since 1994 don't need to rationalize such "do like others do" craziness, especially when one has been able to just buy a US model iPhone and use it here without such ridiculous and bothersome features. Might as well start defending the Great Firewall of China next.  Not every convention and custom is great one, even if it was done with noble intentions in mind.  As you can see, I'm not fan of the nanny state, and I don't hide that fact when give the opportunity.

But I am very glad and thrilled to the core that we agree that the eSIM thing is "a legitimate concern" because it absolutely is for people who travel internationally.  Again, we need to know if US based iPhone buyers can order an "international version" of the iPhone 14 which has the SIM tray.  If not, that is a huge mistake on Apple's part.
    Do you suppose there's any chance that the reason Japanese carriers require that sound is because of creeps taking stealth pictures of women?  Blaming Apple for complying with carriers' demands in this case is insane.
    Do you suppose that a person like myself who has lived continuously in Japan since 1994 would know that the reason is INDEED creepy idiots taking stealth photos of women?  The answer is, naturally, that I AM AWARE.  But I don't care.  No, not even one tiny bit.  I hate idiots do idiotic things, but I don't care enough to limit your freedom so as to limit the freedom of those idiots.

Why in THE WORLD is it that every INDIVIDUAL SIN of mankind needs to be made in to a new law, rule, regulation or cultural issue?  With each new rule, the freedoms of the MAJORITY of good people (I'm talking about the 99.9%+ who do NOT take such wicked photos) are limited by those fancy dancy rules.  That means a greater wrong is done to society at large by that do-gooder mentality.  

If someone commits a crime like taking photos of a woman secretly, let the cops nail that person and handle it that way.   But don't take my freedom or your freedom away using cultural laws that have the aim of catching a teensy tiny few handful of dirty mind nuts in this world. 

Sheesh.  The way people think today (outside Japan) in terms of ruling the lives of others, while not exclusively focusing on keeping their own heart pure, is truly insane and scary.
    Jfc, the self-pitying weeping over a shutter sound.  No one feels for you.
    LOL.  You lambast most people in this forum.  I honestly don't care what you think on this point.
    And yet you respond, so I think you care a bit.  Maybe there's some hope for you.
  • Reply 62 of 62
    jdw said:
    jdw said:
    dewme said:
    I’m sure you know the shutter sound on Japanese versions of all brand smartphones has nothing to do with Apple at all. They are simply complying with the carriers demands in that country. 
    You should be aware you just contradicted yourself by saying that shutter sound compliance in Japan "has NOTHING to do with Apple at all" while in your very next sentence you state the truth that it DOES have to do with Apple "complying with the carriers"!  Regardless of the reason for it, making certain iPhone functionality permanent for a given market VERY MUCH has something "to do with Apple."  Some people try to rationalize such capitulation, while folks like myself who have lived in Japan continuously since 1994 don't need to rationalize such "do like others do" craziness, especially when one has been able to just buy a US model iPhone and use it here without such ridiculous and bothersome features. Might as well start defending the Great Firewall of China next.  Not every convention and custom is great one, even if it was done with noble intentions in mind.  As you can see, I'm not fan of the nanny state, and I don't hide that fact when give the opportunity.

But I am very glad and thrilled to the core that we agree that the eSIM thing is "a legitimate concern" because it absolutely is for people who travel internationally.  Again, we need to know if US based iPhone buyers can order an "international version" of the iPhone 14 which has the SIM tray.  If not, that is a huge mistake on Apple's part.
    Do you suppose there's any chance that the reason Japanese carriers require that sound is because of creeps taking stealth pictures of women?  Blaming Apple for complying with carriers' demands in this case is insane.
    Do you suppose that a person like myself who has lived continuously in Japan since 1994 would know that the reason is INDEED creepy idiots taking stealth photos of women?  The answer is, naturally, that I AM AWARE.  But I don't care.  No, not even one tiny bit.  I hate idiots do idiotic things, but I don't care enough to limit your freedom so as to limit the freedom of those idiots.

Why in THE WORLD is it that every INDIVIDUAL SIN of mankind needs to be made in to a new law, rule, regulation or cultural issue?  With each new rule, the freedoms of the MAJORITY of good people (I'm talking about the 99.9%+ who do NOT take such wicked photos) are limited by those fancy dancy rules.  That means a greater wrong is done to society at large by that do-gooder mentality.  

If someone commits a crime like taking photos of a woman secretly, let the cops nail that person and handle it that way.   But don't take my freedom or your freedom away using cultural laws that have the aim of catching a teensy tiny few handful of dirty mind nuts in this world. 

Sheesh.  The way people think today (outside Japan) in terms of ruling the lives of others, while not exclusively focusing on keeping their own heart pure, is truly insane and scary.
    The shutter sound doesn't limit your freedom in any way, shape, or form.