Anyway to use 17" iMac's display after its old?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is there anyway to disconnect the 17" display off of the iMac and use it as a regular monitor? Like a hack of some sorts?

Its so stupid that they don't make the 17" studio display a wide cinema display. That way I could just get the 1GHz powermac and the 17" wide. I want to keep the monitor when I upgrade!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

I want to keep the monitor when I upgrade!

My feeling exactly. That would be a fantastic hack.

Apple still needs to introduce a "headless" iMac. I won't mind tossing the crappy CRT with my Rev.A iMac. But I refuse to buy an all-in-one LCD iMac. I'd hate to throw out a perfectly good LCD when the CPU it is attached to becomes obsolete. Unfortunately, we've been flogging this dead horse for too long... Apple doesn't listen to us.

In the meantime, I'll have to save my pennies for a bottom end PowerMac and 20" ACD. Or maybe we'll even be able to buy an iBox soon.

Escher
  • Reply 2 of 3
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Hmmm very interesting....

If my 17" wasnt brand new I would pop it open and see exactly how its wired up... maybe in a few months.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Actually- I've seen some pics somewhere of someone who had taken apart they're iMac and it seemed to just be plain DVI wireing through the base.

I think the main problem would be finding out how to power the thing.

That and making a base heavy enough to actually hold the thing up.