Zeldman's OSX Switcher's Guide

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Zeldman just put up a neat little Switcher's Guide at his site. He's finally starting to move to OSX.

Not a really comprehensive thing, just thought some of you would like to give it a read.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Is this some sort of cruel joke? The above URL crashes both camino and safari... can't read it. Does Zeldman have a keen sense of humor?

edit: hmmm... works in explorer and mozilla...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Link worked for me (Safari v60).

Anyway... Sheesh! What a lot of effort to drag OS 9 "cute-ilities" into OS X. Font management needs work, no debate, and those other apps may be useful, but that whole page feels like what I have observed in others: The absolute refusal to make a clean break.

The only utility I used from those listed was Dragthing and once I used the Dock in OS X I was done with app switcher/shortcut apps. Done!

I'd go mad trying to manage all those apps that are there to solely "enhance" the OS.

Also, I was initially expecting Windows switcher guide as opposed to a guide for an OS 9 switcher. (Not that I need either).

Is there anyone else that abandoned most of those little apps once they migrated to OS X??

Screed
  • Reply 3 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Well, I found those links while on my PC here at work, but I read his site now and then at home and have never had a problem.

I'm assuming since he makes the site on a Mac, and he's a pretty heavy hitter in web design circles, that they should be fine with those browsers. (the screenshot in his story has Chimera running even)

Hmm. \
  • Reply 4 of 16
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Is there anyone else that abandoned most of those little apps once they migrated to OS X??

There was a time when I was somewhat younger when all I thought about was to 'enhance' the OS. I'd download all sorts of gadgets and gizmos...Kaleidoscope...etc. and made it an obsession. I've grown out of that phase.

I believe a lot of people are still immature and stuck in that intermediate phase I call, the Nerd Complex phase, where people strive to modify everything they see to fit their needs using any mean possible. At this stage, you've become proficient enough with a computer to find these OS utilities yourself, download them, install them and play with them.

The phases go like this:

Newbie (Petrified of new software, scared of breaking the computer...will only settle for the basics.)

Nerd Complex (Finally finds out that new software is fun, not scared of breaking the computer and begins to install OS modifying utilities and complex software...instability to the OS is brought in...complexity of managing the computer is introduced.)

Maturity (Realizes that most of these utilities are dumb and serve no real purpose. The person in the maturity phase, acquires the need for 'going back to basics', and enjoys a clean OS and easy-to-use software but also has the skills of the person that broke through into the Nerd Complex phase.)

A lot of people are Newbies and have a hard time moving the next phase...quite a few reach the Nerd Complex phase...but only a handful actually go beyond and realize it's all a big joke and the truth lies in a simple, clean OS and simple, clean apps.

I don't want to hear anyone disagree with these true facts. Anyone who disagrees is evidently in the 2nd phase (Nerd Complex) and doesn't want to hear about the phase beyond. Believe me, it's there...even though some of you will dismiss it as "one of kim kap sol's dumb crack-smokery".
  • Reply 5 of 16
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    LOL, I totally agree. Acurate description of me over the last 5 years...
  • Reply 6 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    kks, I actually agree with you on this one.

I had Kaleidoscope with theme randomization, I had all sorts of sounds going off, anyone remember Neko the cat that ran after your cursor?

Then one day I looked at it and said "You know, this is all just really frickin' annoying, is what this is."

Haven't looked back.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Maturity (Realizes that most of these utilities are dumb and serve no real purpose. The person in the maturity phase, acquires the need for 'going back to basics', and enjoys a clean OS and easy-to-use software but also has the skills of the person that broke through into the Nerd Complex phase.)

Or perhaps just crack smoking cluelessness. Of the apps mentioned on Zeldman's page only one replaces OS9 behaviors (ASM) and one other (Dragthing) is a matter of personal preference. The others are absolutely essential if you want to get a lick of work done. If you think Spell Catcher or Typeit4me are the equivalent of Kaleidescope you should review your UI concepts.

Quote:

Open/Save dialogs are near useless without Default Folder, and even then because there is no equivalent to Nav Services, Default Folder is the ugliest of kludges. Nonetheless it is essential in rescuing open/save dialogs from Apple's minimalist, user-unfriendly urges.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    KKS,

I think after the nerd complex it breaks off into two groups. The mature *nix user. No matter how un-easy the OS is to use they fly through it like it was OS X. They crave an OS that they can wrap and contort into anything they want it to..

and the mature user you specified...
  • Reply 9 of 16
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    What a joke. If you did it right it'll look like, this?

We all know it would look like this.

His screenshot can best be described as backward. If he doesn't want to use X, then he shouldn't. ph34r teh n3w t3ch.

Ok, maybe it should look like this.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    This line:

"whole O?Reilly books have been written about font management in OS X, and the authors of those books always commit suicide after writing them."

Just made my night!

But this is just pushing it: "Oh, yeah, and DragThing also lets you put the Trash Can back on the Desktop, as the Lord intended."
  • Reply 11 of 16
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I use some of those apps--ASM especially, as I really think a quick place to see all running apps, in an order is better than the dock, which I keep tiny and hidden. I'm also a big FruitMenu fan, though if Apple ever makes folders in the dock give up the goods as fast or faster than FruitMenu does, I'll stop using it.

I agree with KKS to some extent, and I don't like DragThing and DockThing and all that.

i have definitely pruned back on the crap I load on my Mac.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    pantherpanther Posts: 64member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

I just wish I could add some of this stuff to my Windows machine. Anything would be better than a Start button.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    just switch over to a mac, and never look back- that's waaaaaaay easier than to get windows to run properly...
  • Reply 14 of 16
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

just switch over to a mac, and never look back- that's waaaaaaay easier than to get windows to run properly...

It rhymes. That should be Apple's new slogan. :P
  • Reply 15 of 16
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Yea, Rrright... like someone with _that_ nick would be a windoze user..
  • Reply 16 of 16
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinions.

At least the dock-like apps he usees don't move around when you open or minimize things.

I didn't know about a couple of the apps he uses - and I would probably use them if I used OS X more.

There's nothing wrong with love.