HyperJuice GaN chargers recalled over fire hazard

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2022
Hyper's 65W and 100W HyperJuice Stackable GaN USB-C Chargers are being recalled following reports of overheating damaging the chargers.

Hyper HyperJuice 100W GaN stackable USB-A and USB-C charger.
Hyper HyperJuice 100W GaN stackable USB-A and USB-C charger.

The recall concerns specifically these two models of the system that allowed up to 16 chargers to be stacked on one outlet. Hyper, and the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), are asking buyers to stop using the device, and contact Hyper for a refund.

"This recall involves Hyper Products HyperJuice Stackable GaN 65W and 100W USB-C chargers," says the CPSC announcement. "The chargers were sold in black and measure about 2 inches wide and 3 inches long."

"The 65W charger has the model number HJ414 and the 100W charger has the model number HJ417," it continues. "The model numbers are printed on a label located at the bottom of the charger."

According to CPSC, Hyper Products "has received seven reports of the charger overheating resulting in damage to the charging units." It notes that "no injuries have been reported."

The HyperJuice 65W and 100W GaN Stackable Chargers were officially released in July 2021. However, they began as a crowdfunding project on both IndieGogo and Kickstart from October 2020.

Buyers of the devices from October 2020 up to their removal from sale in August 2022, should contact Hyper Products. They will be refunded the purchase price in the form of store credit.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Bummer! I have two of these chargers. They are amazingly compact and useful. I've had no heat issues, although admittedly, I have not used the stacking feature, especially not any idiocy about stacking "up to 16" of them. Who would do that?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Other sources indicate the 130 watt battery pack has also been recalled for fire hazard issues.  I'd be a bit more worried about the battery packs than the chargers.  Will it be a (very) hot time in the old town tonight?  
    https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2022/Hyper-Products-Recalls-HyperJuice-USB-C-Battery-Packs-Due-to-Fire-Hazard  
    edited September 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    This firm has lost all credibility for me. My 100 W charger just stopped working on some ports. 

Apples 35 W it is now for me: useful, strong enough for most use cases, double port and it works. Expensive but you get what you pay for. 
    MBearwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    One has to learn design these things properly. You cannot bypass physics. Amount of copper is still needed and if you use components and solutions that heat with frequency of converter then you either need air circulation or manufacture from thick aluminum rather than cheap thermal insulator like plastic. That used to electronics design 101 in early university classes if you went for masters. These days only 15-minutes hype counts...and then we have fire.