How Do You Prepare For A PLAGUE?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
SARS is going to spread around the world eventually; no question about that.

We're in a unique position of knowing about an illness which has the possibility of killing millions of people within three years. But what do we do? Is a hanky over our noses and mouths good enough protection? What about hand-to-mouth contact? I really think this is like knowing that a tidal wave is coming to your island and you have three minutes to get ready.

Look for some wild preventative ideas to surface in short order.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

We're in a unique position of knowing about an illness which has the possibility of killing millions of people within three years. But what do we do? Is a hanky over our noses and mouths good enough protection? What about hand-to-mouth contact? I really think this is like knowing that a tidal wave is coming to your island and you have three minutes to get ready.

Prevention for what? Something that kills less the the west nile virus? SARS is blown way out of proportion. It's mortality rate is 3.5%

Mortality Rate

Some more stats (Same source)

More stats, with more links on page.

Eh who knows though, I could be wrong. However to me it just seems over hyped.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Where did this come from? How did it start? Was it natural? In other words, we're 100% certain it's not some evil undertaking by some sort of group with an axe to grind, right?

I honestly haven't been paying much attention, so I ask the above in total, genuine sincerity. Just seems with all this talk of "chemical" this and "biological" that, this is the kind of stuff that zings through my brain upon first hearing about it.

If you guys say it's "legit" and just appeared naturally or whatever, I'll believe you. I just don't know the background.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I guard myself by not going to places hardest hit, keep an eye on the reports from our medical experts and not posting in same thread as Tonton.

pscates: If I don´t say that US government orchestered 9/11 you don´t say that this was human made, okay?

Hey wait a minute...
  • Reply 4 of 16
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Hospitals must ensure that there staff are properly trained and equipped for such contingencies.

In addition, the govt must be frank about what has happened and take the necessary steps such as closing down schools and certain public places.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argento

Prevention for what? Something that kills less the the west nile virus? SARS is blown way out of proportion. It's mortality rate is 3.5%

Mortality Rate

Some more stats (Same source)

More stats, with more links on page.

Eh who knows though, I could be wrong. However to me it just seems over hyped.

I didn't know the exact stats, but thank you. First, even if one DID get the disease, which is about as likely as Saddam winning a naval battle with the USS Kittyhawk Battlegroup, one has has a very small chance of death. Many people who died in Asia did not receive proper medical care. It is definitely blown way out of proportion.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

It is definitely blown way out of proportion.

SARS might be blown out of proportion, but the threat of the spread of disease is not. This just shows how quickly the world can be threatened and we should be grateful that SARS isn't more powerful. We've been warned so to speak. This should serve as a wake up like 9/11 was for some.
  • Reply 8 of 16
  • Reply 9 of 16
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by niji

http://squeak.org/us/ted/sars-graph.html

Thanks niji.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Ahhhh, hello guys.

Just a little bumpage here since they've officially announced this thing has passed the 5,000 mark....in less than three months. I think that this might indeed be a worthy thread title and thread subject.

UNLIKE the West Nile Virus this disease can be spread by human to human contact, allowing the disease vectors to rapidly traverse oceans and continents.

Niji has linked to a graph that shows that projections of DEATHS due to this disease could approach TEN MILLION by November of THIS YEAR. (read the note about how the mathematics associated with this projection will likely have a modifier).

I'd call that a plague.

Again, discuss.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

That dude is scary. What a creep.

Yeah, I think the media (and the public) have way overblown this whole SARS mess.

No, I don't believe it is some huge conspiracy. That's just stupid.

Where's Chomsky in all this?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by n a d n e r b

Dr. Lenny iz a meshugene.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Chicken Soup