iPhone must use USB-C by 2024, says EU law

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 84
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    11,000 tonnes is not a small number, no matter how you try to bend and divide the figure. 
    spheric
  • Reply 82 of 84
    thttht Posts: 4,729member
    crowley said:
    11,000 tonnes is not a small number, no matter how you try to bend and divide the figure. 
    Relative to the non-compostable landfill waste produced by 500m people in the EU, it's a small number. A plastic bag weighs about 2 grams. 1 plastic bag per person in the EU is 1000 tonnes. That's a plastic bag. Now think about how many plastic bags we go through per day. Shopping bags, storage bags, product bags etc. Things like blister packs in packaging, packing bubbles, and etc. Potato chip bags? Plastic (well polyethylene blah blah blah). 2 grams per bag. We compost and what is picked up by the trash service is basically plastic! So maybe 500 grams of it per week. Per week, for our household of 6. So, that's about 100x more per year than this 11k tonne estimate.

I am curious what assumptions are used in 11k tonne estimate. An iPhone Lightning cable is 20 grams. Apple sells about 300m devices with Lightning cables per year. That's 6000 tonnes. That's worldwide. Not just the EU. So, they are assuming it will be 2 years worth of Lightning cables?

But. No e-waste will be actually be saved if Apple ships a USBC-to-USBC cable with every device. Same thing with other OEMs. The only way e-waste will be reduced is if Apple and other companies don't have charging cables in the box. I think Apple will eventually decide to do this. Interesting security implications. Will be curious if the public will it acceptable not to have cables in the box though. The failure rate is a lot higher than charging bricks, so people may favor having them in the box.

Having a common charging port for all 100 W or less devices is something I would like to see. The convenience will be very nice. The installed base of USBC chargers and cables probably isn't ubiquitous enough just yet. Eventually.
  • Reply 83 of 84
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    tht said:
    crowley said:
    Relative to the non-compostable landfill waste produced by 500m people in the EU, it's a small number. A plastic bag weighs about 2 grams. 1 plastic bag per person in the EU is 1000 tonnes. That's a plastic bag. Now think about how many plastic bags we go through per day. Shopping bags, storage bags, product bags etc. Things like blister packs in packaging, packing bubbles, and etc. Potato chip bags? Plastic (well polyethylene blah blah blah). 2 grams per bag. We compost and what is picked up by the trash service is basically plastic! So maybe 500 grams of it per week. Per week, for our household of 6. So, that's about 100x more per year than this 11k tonne estimate.
    There are initiatives to reduce the amount of plastic bags and packaging too.  I don't think anyone anywhere is claiming that this law will solve the problem of all waste in landfill, no law could.

And again, 11,000 tonnes.
    edited October 2022 spheric
  • Reply 84 of 84
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 6,522member
    tht said:
    crowley said:

I am curious what assumptions are used in 11k tonne estimate. An iPhone Lightning cable is 20 grams. Apple sells about 300m devices with Lightning cables per year. That's 6000 tonnes. That's worldwide. Not just the EU. So, they are assuming it will be 2 years worth of Lightning cables?

But. No e-waste will be actually be saved if Apple ships a USBC-to-USBC cable with every device. Same thing with other OEMs. The only way e-waste will be reduced is if Apple and other companies don't have charging cables in the box. I think Apple will eventually decide to do this. Interesting security implications. Will be curious if the public will it acceptable not to have cables in the box though. The failure rate is a lot higher than charging bricks, so people may favor having them in the box.

Having a common charging port for all 100 W or less devices is something I would like to see. The convenience will be very nice. The installed base of USBC chargers and cables probably isn't ubiquitous enough just yet. Eventually.
    As I've mentioned previously, this law should not be taken alone. It falls under different EU umbrella frameworks, one of which is environmental. 

This is from an EU document

"The first study also found that the consumption of raw materials to produce charging devices has environmental impacts as well as impacts in terms of generating e-waste at the end of product life. It estimated that mobile phone charging devices were responsible for around 11000 t of e-waste in 2018 and the associated life-cycle emissions were around 600 ktCO2e. Those amounts are expected to increase in the coming years, driven mainly by the trend towards heavier fast chargers."

E-waste has been in the sights of the EU for many years but so have plastics. One of the latest moves was on single use plastics. However, the waste aspect is an end of life issue. It took raw material extraction (with environmental costs) to produce it. That has to be factored in too. 

There are many angles to the problem but moves to tackle it are accumulative. One number for one item or class of items taken alone doesn't mean much. It has to be taken in a wider context. 
    edited October 2022 sphericmuthuk_vanalingambala1234