Apple's MagSafe Charger gets firmware update

Posted:
in General Discussion
The MagSafe Charger released in 2020 has received a firmware update from Apple, though it isn't clear what it does.

The new firmware may provide compatibility improvements for AirPods Pro 2 and other recent products
The new firmware may provide compatibility improvements for AirPods Pro 2 and other recent products


Nearly every tech accessory has firmware, and the MagSafe Charging puck is no exception. Apple provides updates to accessories like this in the background with no release notes or any way to push the update manually.

The timing of the release suggests that Apple is providing a slight compatibility tweak to ensure AirPods Pro 2 and the iPhone 14 lineup don't have any issues using the charger. The firmware is responsible for detecting a connected device and negotiating charging speeds, so periodic updates for new products make some sense.

According to MacRumors, which first reported the update, new firmware is version 10M1821, up from version 10M229. The update will install automatically when the MagSafe Charger is in use and connected to power, though the user will not be notified of any change.

There is a way to check the MagSafe Charger's firmware version, but it won't show the previously mentioned firmware number. Instead, it will read firmware version 255.0.0.0, up from version 247.0.0.0.

How to check the MagSafe Charger's software version


  1. Attach the iPhone to the MagSafe Charger

  2. Open the Settings app

  3. Tap "General"

  4. Tap "About"

  5. Scroll down, under "Carrier Lock" the attached accessory menu will appear as "Apple MagSafe Charger," tap this

  6. View the listed firmware version

Read on AppleInsider
fer007

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 12
    thttht Posts: 4,613member
    By "Attach the iPhone to the MagSafe Charger", you mean connect the Lightning connector of the MagSafe charger to the iPhone?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,160member
    tht said:
    By "Attach the iPhone to the MagSafe Charger", you mean connect the Lightning connector of the MagSafe charger to the iPhone?
    The MagSafe Charger has a USB-C connector, not a Lightning connector. So no, you don’t.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    thttht Posts: 4,613member
    lkrupp said:
    tht said:
    By "Attach the iPhone to the MagSafe Charger", you mean connect the Lightning connector of the MagSafe charger to the iPhone?
    The MagSafe Charger has a USB-C connector, not a Lightning connector. So no, you don’t.
    Interesting. So there is a wireless side channel (Bluetooth? U1?) between the iPhone and the MagSafe charger, or they are doing it with modulating the induction frequency? How do they get the new firmware onto the MagSafe charge?
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Connect the usb-c end to a MacBook something.  That the only way I’ve been able to update the MagSafe charger.
    FileMakerFellerdewmedoozydozencaladaniantwokatmewwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    HrebHreb Posts: 44member
    Interesting, my Belkin Duo 2-in-1 magsafe charger doesn't show any firmware version when connected.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 809member
     Apple's MagSafe Charger gets firmware update”

    Apple supports its own accessories: for instance I get info from my Apple MagSafe battery such as % of charge while with my Anker MagSafe pack? Nothing. 
    edited October 4 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    JFC_PA said:
    “ Apple's MagSafe Charger gets firmware update”

    Apple supports its own accessories: for instance I get info from my Apple MagSafe battery such as % of charge while with my Anker MagSafe pack? Nothing. 
    But Anker products aren’t official MagSafe certified afaik, simply Qi standard with magnets. They’re still great - I own three different models - but wouldn’t expect them to communicate with Apple devices. 
    twokatmewwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    macminion said:
    Connect the usb-c end to a MacBook something.  That the only way I’ve been able to update the MagSafe charger.
    Or charge your iPhone overnight, this way the charger gets updated for sure.
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 671member
    So there is a new, hidden and secret, data transfer protocol between MagSafe and iPhones?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,440member
    tht said:
    By "Attach the iPhone to the MagSafe Charger", you mean connect the Lightning connector of the MagSafe charger to the iPhone?
    There is a picture in the article that shows you how to attach the MagSafe charger to your iPhone. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12

    I found the way to update , plug your phone with MagSafe in the computer , unplug the cable , go to about and leave it there , connect the cable again to computer , and it would like reboot because your phone won’t charge , give it like 1 minute and your phone will charge one again . You will have the 255.000 AppleInsider said:
    The MagSafe Charger released in 2020 has received a firmware update from Apple, though it isn't clear what it does.

    The new firmware may provide compatibility improvements for AirPods Pro 2 and other recent products
    The new firmware may provide compatibility improvements for AirPods Pro 2 and other recent products


    Nearly every tech accessory has firmware, and the MagSafe Charging puck is no exception. Apple provides updates to accessories like this in the background with no release notes or any way to push the update manually.

    The timing of the release suggests that Apple is providing a slight compatibility tweak to ensure AirPods Pro 2 and the iPhone 14 lineup don't have any issues using the charger. The firmware is responsible for detecting a connected device and negotiating charging speeds, so periodic updates for new products make some sense.

    According to MacRumors, which first reported the update, new firmware is version 10M1821, up from version 10M229. The update will install automatically when the MagSafe Charger is in use and connected to power, though the user will not be notified of any change.

    There is a way to check the MagSafe Charger's firmware version, but it won't show the previously mentioned firmware number. Instead, it will read firmware version 255.0.0.0, up from version 247.0.0.0.

    How to check the MagSafe Charger's software version

    1. Attach the iPhone to the MagSafe Charger
    2. Open the Settings app
    3. Tap "General"
    4. Tap "About"
    5. Scroll down, under "Carrier Lock" the attached accessory menu will appear as "Apple MagSafe Charger," tap this
    6. View the listed firmware version
    Read on AppleInsider

    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    thttht Posts: 4,613member
    AppleZulu said:
    tht said:
    By "Attach the iPhone to the MagSafe Charger", you mean connect the Lightning connector of the MagSafe charger to the iPhone?
    There is a picture in the article that shows you how to attach the MagSafe charger to your iPhone. 
    Yes indeed there is. The essence of the question however is how do software bits (the firmware) get on the MagSafe charger?

    My question thought that it is sent through the wire, and I assumed it had a Lightning connector (I don't have any MagSafe chargers). So just plug it in. The MagSage charger gets both data and power through its connector, and easy to do the firmware update.

    If someone connects the MagSafe charger by placing an iPhone on the MagSafe induction charging puck, how is the MagSafe puck powered? How is data transferred? So, the MagSafe charger needs to be plugged into a charging brick to be powered, and the iPhone placed on it? Then, how is data transferred? U1 wireless signals? Unknown other wireless signal?
    watto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.