Jony Ive and Apple reunite for Apple TV+ animated short

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2022
Apple TV+ has secured the animated short film "The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse," based on the Charlie Mackesy book -- and executive produced by Jony Ive.

"The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse" [Apple TV+]

A classically-animated film, "The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse" will tell the story found in the international bestseller of the same name, following a friendship between the four beings as they search for a home for the boy.

Featuring Mackesy's illustrations, the film will star BAFTA award winner Tom Hollander as The Mole, as well as SAG Award winner Idris Elba as The Fox and Golden Globe Award winner Gabriel Byrne as The Horse. The Boy will be played by newcomer Jude Coward Nicoll.

Apple is working in partnership with the BBC, which will premiere the film in the UK on Christmas Day. Other countries will be able to watch it on Apple TV+.

The film is presented by Matthew Freud and produced by Cara Speller of NoneMore Productions, who previously worked on "Love, Death & Robots." J.J. Abrams and Hannah Minghella of Bad Robot is also signed up for production duties, while Peter Baynton and Charlie Mackesy are directing.

An original score is provided by composer Isobel Waller-Bridge and performed by the BBC Concert Orchestra, conducted by Geoff Alexander.

Alongside Woody Harrelson on the executive producer list is Jony Ive. Ive is obviously the former design chief at Apple who created the design firm LoveFrom after his departure.

"The journey of making the film of The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse' with my incredibly gifted animation team has been a magical one," said Mackesy. "I never dreamt it would happen -- but it's so moving to think the story will be watched at Christmas. I really hope it brings a bit of joy, laughter and comfort."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I absolutely LOVE that book. Looking forward to this.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    With Jony Ive involved, it will be so thin you won't even be able to see it on your TV screen.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Ive directed. You know it’s going to be crafted to perfection. 

Looking forward to it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    davdav Posts: 115member

Looking forward to it. 
    The article says, "Peter Baynton and Charlie Mackesy are directing," Ive is an executive producer.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    It looks inspired by Studio Ghibli.  That wouldn't be a bad thing at all.
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    dav said:

Looking forward to it. 
    The article says, "Peter Baynton and Charlie Mackesy are directing," Ive is an executive producer.
    Actually even better. 
    watto_cobra