Improvements for the iBook, or just hacks

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey People of Apple Insider,

I've had my first Macintosh 3 months now. I got the 12" iBook. I find it great, but I don't tell people. Let them get frustrated in the school computer lab as I sit back and enjoy whatever I'm doing.

Here are my concerns that I would prefer:

1) Closing the lid would not cause the computer to go into sleep.

2) The sleep light wouldn't go one on entering sleep mode.

3) The charger didn't have that light on all the time.

4) The battery lights wouldn't stay on at all times when charging.

5) Opening Package Contents did not open in a folder.

Could anyone indicate where I can fix one of these problems?

Suggestions are welcome

Dale Mox

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Hi Dale... as far as the items you listed, all 5 of those are features and not problems (well, problems to you I suppose). I don't know that any of those have a solution though, either that or no one has ever bothered to try and find one for any of them, since the majority don't find any problems with any of those things you listed. I think there may be some hack/trick to get the iBook to not sleep after it's sleeping, but I forget.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dale Mox

5) Opening Package Contents did not open in a folder.

Control-click a package; in the contextual menu select Show Package Contents. Are you saying you didn't know how to do it or you know it but it doesn't work? If it doesn't work, does it fail for all packages or only for one or two? Does it fail silently (as though ignoring you) or spitting out an error message?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    dale moxdale mox Posts: 43member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Control-click a package; in the contextual menu select Show Package Contents. Are you saying you didn't know how to do it or you know it but it doesn't work? If it doesn't work, does it fail for all packages or only for one or two? Does it fail silently (as though ignoring you) or spitting out an error message?

Oops, no I meant that it shouldn't open in a new window, and if I'm in a package, I should be able to go Cmd+Up to go back to the app. That's what I meant....

Dale Mox
  • Reply 4 of 9
    dale moxdale mox Posts: 43member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Hi Dale... as far as the items you listed, all 5 of those are features and not problems (well, problems to you I suppose). I don't know that any of those have a solution though, either that or no one has ever bothered to try and find one for any of them, since the majority don't find any problems with any of those things you listed. I think there may be some hack/trick to get the iBook to not sleep after it's sleeping, but I forget.

You mean a hack to geet the iBook not the sleep when shut? That's the main thing I'd like. I would even suggest to the developper to set the brightness to 0 so that the melting keyboard problem doesn't happen.

Dale Mox
  • Reply 5 of 9
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    The screen produces virtually no heat. The melting keyboard results from the prcessor/mobo/harddisk heat venting through the keyboard. When you close the lid, this doesn't happen and after a long enough time, the keyboard melts.

Get some chocolate chips, marshmallows and graham crackers, sprinkle them on your keyboard, then squidge the iBook's lid closed. The marshmallows and chocolate will absorb the excess heat, saving your keyboard.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

The screen produces virtually no heat. The melting keyboard results from the prcessor/mobo/harddisk heat venting through the keyboard. When you close the lid, this doesn't happen and after a long enough time, the keyboard melts.

Get some chocolate chips, marshmallows and graham crackers, sprinkle them on your keyboard, then squidge the iBook's lid closed. The marshmallows and chocolate will absorb the excess heat, saving your keyboard.

Damn! I hate harshmallows! Any other methods?

Any ideas how long it takes to melt? What are the powerbook keyboards made of? Why doesn't it melt there?

Dale Mox
  • Reply 7 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

it was a HOAX!!!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

it was a HOAX!!!

Huh?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    hoax:

1. An act intended to deceive or trick.

2. Something that has been established or accepted by fraudulent means.