Cheap laser printer buying advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

I am looking to purhase a cheap B&W laser printer. Mac OS X drivers naturally. I am fed up with paying for inkjet costs, and given I print off loads of journal articles, with no colour, I am being crippled by the cost of ink carts.

Cheap would be good (sub $200), and available in Europe/UK would be a bonus tool.

Any recommendations?

low-fi

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    YES

Inkjet printers are sold at a loss. A photo quatily printer for less than $200 or even free. Nobody makes money on inkjet printers. They make their money on selling inkjet cartridges. Using your photo printer for printing photos and only photos is the only way to come out ahead
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Samsung ML-1210 or new ML-1410, laser printer, 200 bucks, awesome printer, I bought the 1210 august of 2001, fast as hell and still using the same ink that it came with, haven't run out yet, no complaints here. OSX support too.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Absltgreek

Samsung ML-1210 or new ML-1410, laser printer, 200 bucks, awesome printer, I bought the 1210 august of 2001, fast as hell and still using the same ink that it came with, haven't run out yet, no complaints here. OSX support too.

Thanks very much Absltgreek. They have them for £100 ($150) dollars at my local John Lewis department store. I'll get one tomorrow I think...

low-fi
  • Reply 4 of 5
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Just got the ML-1210 home. Drivers work (google found 'em). Journal articles with just text come out superquick!

Total steal at £99 from John Lewis.

low-fi
  • Reply 5 of 5
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    Have a look on www.dabs.com they're selling Samsung ML4500 600dpi 8ppm Mono Laser for £70. No usb connectivity though. (RHS of the screen). Rude not to ...

not sure about osx drivers mind.

of course if i'd read the last post i would have realised that you've already got one. oops.